Thursday 3rd January 2011

Previous Actions Recorded

  • JamieBennett to fix Releases/DailyBuild: DONE, updated instructions working fine.

Adenda

Announcements

  • status.linaro.org will gain series support by tomorrow so please check http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html and see if any of your Blueprints/TR's/Work items are wrong. This is what the new page will be.

  • Developer image now building, needs testing by developers to ensure its as expected.
  • Alpha-2 released today, thanks to all who were involved. Much better test coverage, keep it up.

Action item review

  • See above

Image status

  • All images now built after a last minute xserver issue.

Bugs

Developer Platform

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

712031

Medium

alip: can't look up localhost.localdomain

Need to setup /etc/hosts correctly

680650

Low

fsck causes oops on xm because of no swap

Action on Tom to retest

712187

Low

on a freshly-created account, xfce4-panel gives unhelpful choices

Easy fix

706033

Undecided

USB keyboard and mouse not working on overo

Anyone else with an Overo willing to test?

Infrastructure

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Validation

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Kernel WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

707038

High

panda: no gfx due to missing kernel functionality

Will need patches backporting soon

708883

Undefined

Panda board shuts down during boot

Looks like a kernel issue but possible uboot related

712025

Medium

asoc: interface omap-mcbsp-dai hw params failed

Needs someone to look into this

Toolchain WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Power Management WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Multimedia WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Graphics WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Others

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

633227

High

Instabilities with highmem activated (Panda)

Keep on the radar

Progress Information

Team reports

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03
[TOPIC] Announcements
 * status.linaro.org will gain series support by tomorrow so please check 
[LINK] http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html 
and see if any of your Blueprints/TR's/Work items are wrong. This is what the new page will be.
 * Developer image now building, needs testing by developers to ensure its as expected.
 * Alpha-2 released today, thanks to all who were involved. Much better test coverage, keep it up.
[TOPIC] Action item review
 *  JamieBennett to fix Releases/DailyBuild: DONE, updated instructions working fine.
[TOPIC] Image Status
 * All images now built after a last minute xserver issue.
 * nano image will come soon.
 * When should we switch to Ubuntu desktop seed rather than netbook?
[TOPIC] Bugs summary
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03#Bug Summary
[TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[TOPIC] Team reports
All team reports are collated at:
[LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
No team report for PM, Toolchain WG and Kernel WG needs editing.
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

Meeting opened by JamieBennett at 17:01

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03

  • <gsachin_> hello everybody

    <JamieBennett> hey gsachin

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements

Announcements

http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html

  • <JamieBennett> and see if any of your Blueprints/TR's/Work items are wrong. This is what the new page will be.

    <JamieBennett> Each tech lead needs to go through the url above and see what discrepancies your team has

    <james_w> hey!

    <JamieBennett> hey james_w

    <james_w> yay meetings!

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] Tech Leads to check for missing Blueprints on http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html

Tech Leads to check for missing Blueprints on http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html

  • <JamieBennett> james_w: when are you intending flipping the switch for series support?

    <james_w> JamieBennett, when you give me the go-ahead

    <JamieBennett> james_w: OK so sometime early evening UTC

    <james_w> today?

    <JamieBennett> (tomorrow)

    <JamieBennett> sorry

    <james_w> ok

    <JamieBennett> * Developer image now building, needs testing by developers to ensure its as expected.

    <JamieBennett> * Alpha-2 released today, thanks to all who were involved. Much better test coverage, keep it up.

    <JamieBennett> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/Alpha2

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/Alpha2

  • <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Action item review

Action item review

  • <asac> yay, on testing ;)

    <JamieBennett> Just one

    <JamieBennett> asac: indeed, we need to improve still but its going in the right direction

    <asac> ack

    <JamieBennett> * JamieBennett to fix Releases/DailyBuild: DONE, updated instructions working fine.

    <JamieBennett> thanks to slangasek for some last minute changes to the page

    <slangasek> we still need to get packages into the ppa for linaro to cover our bases

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: who is tasked with that?

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: qemu-linaro - me, linaro-image-tools - lool

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <slangasek> s/for linaro/for lucid/

    <lool> You mean lucid?

    <slangasek> yes

    <slangasek> sorry, brain autocomplete fail

    <lool> This is going to take some time; I think we're hitting an APT bug, and I have yet to identify the fix and propose a SRU

  • slangasek nods

    <slangasek> lool: I think fixing this should all be targeted to linaro alpha-3, yes?

    <lool> It makes sense

    <JamieBennett> lool: is there a bug #?

    <lool> LP #709895 I think

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 709895 in apt "Testsuite fails under lucid" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/709895

    <lool> I think l-i-t is looking much better these days; some rough edges, but nothing major I believe

  • JamieBennett nods

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Image Status

Image Status

  • <JamieBennett> * All images now built after a last minute xserver issue.

    <JamieBennett> still some investigation needed on netbook to determine why its pulling in the wrong base-files

    <JamieBennett> but generally in good alpha-2 state :)

    <JamieBennett> * nano image will come soon, tgall_foo is working on this

    <plars> will we drop headless at that point?

    <JamieBennett> plars: thats the plan

    <slangasek> plars: yes

    <JamieBennett> when we have a good developer and nano image

    <plars> sounds good

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: I see overo mentioned in the a2 release announcement, but AFAICS there were 0 tests done via qatracker - do we know this works?

    <JamieBennett> doanac was testing overo, maybe he can comment?

    <lool> I think doanac tested the fixed l-i-t with latest hwpack; dunno whether he tested A2 specifically

    <plars> I tried it a few days before a2 with headless, but didn't get a chance to try it on a2

    <lool> doanac: Did you test A2 images with overo?

    <JamieBennett> plars: was it in reasonable shape then?

    <JamieBennett> (not much has changed in the past week)

  • slangasek nods

    <plars> JamieBennett: it booted and got to a prompt, but that's about all I did

    <JamieBennett> plars: thats enough for alpha-2 ;)

    <JamieBennett> thanks

    <plars> but that was not with the a2 image

    <plars> I can try it later today if you like

    <JamieBennett> plars: please, if we need a last minute respin it needs to happen today

    <plars> will do

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] plars to test A2 on Overo

plars to test A2 on Overo

  • <JamieBennett> slangasek: question for you - When should we switch to Ubuntu desktop seed rather than

netbook?

  • <JamieBennett> I presume soon?

    <slangasek> ah, it hadn't occurred to me that there was a relevant distinction

    <slangasek> if we're switching, let's do it ASAP

    <JamieBennett> UI is different

    <JamieBennett> and EFL is pulled in

    <slangasek> right

    <slangasek> this slipped my mind

    <slangasek> but yes, the sooner the better

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] slangasek to arrange for netbook-efl seed to be changed to -desktop seed asap

slangasek to arrange for netbook-efl seed to be changed to -desktop seed asap

  • <slangasek> do we want to still call it 'netbook' (perhaps without the 'efl')

    <slangasek> ?

    <asac> slangasek: lets talk about this tomorrow ;)

    <slangasek> ok

  • asac adds it to list

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: just found the netbook-efl overlay bug, btw - the extra sources.list entry points at maverick

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: ouch

    <slangasek> pushed fix

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: OK, we need to fix that :)

    <JamieBennett> ;D

    <asac> would it make sense to collect overlay issues that we find and make a check list?

  • tgall_foo groans

    <asac> like the base-files one and this one etc.?

    <slangasek> asac: this ought to be part of an "opening a new release" checklist

    <JamieBennett> agreed but also as part of a checklist for every milestone

    <asac> ok. and base-files is "releaseing" checklist i guess

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to produce a release checklist

JamieBennett to produce a release checklist

  • <JamieBennett> There is a release process document currently so I will extend that to include a checklist

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary

Bugs summary

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03#Bug Summary

  • <JamieBennett> that should be [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03#Bugs

    <JamieBennett> So we look in not-too-bad shape

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: we have a /etc/host and hostname issue that you commented on

    <slangasek> yes - something to be fixed up in live-helper, I think

    <slangasek> there's a "Default hostname" field that's not getting used

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: theres a couple of other low hanging fruit there for DevPlatform too

    <JamieBennett> nothing major

    <slangasek> yep, I'll get these assigned out

    <JamieBennett> thanks

    <JamieBennett> bug 707038

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 707038 in linux-linaro "panda: no gfx due to missing kernel functionality" [High,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/707038

    <JamieBennett> mounir: can you ensure this is on npitre's mind, I hear some upstream patches are about to be released which we can backport to get much needed video on the panda

    <mounir> JamieBennett: yes - waiting for patches to go upstream - seems fixes exists for this one

    <JamieBennett> bug 708883 is also a bad one, plars have you investigated further?

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708883 in linux-linaro "Panda board shuts down during boot" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708883

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: seems to think its a uboot issue but there are comments on it being a kernel bug

    <mounir> jcrigby is aware of this one will follow with him

    <plars> JamieBennett: I was reproducing it reliably at home, not in the lab though (where I use an older x-loader/uboot)

    <plars> it was filed under kernel as an initial best-guess, though I'm in agreement that it's more likely uboot because of ^

    <JamieBennett> OK, I see Ken says just swapping out the kernel reproduces the bug though so more investigation I think

    <plars> I can say that it is reproducible even with the image I just made last night

    <plars> yet it seemed like someone had results on panda for a2 testing

    <plars> not sure if it is only hitting some people, or if he worked around it

    <plars> tom posted results

    <plars> tgall_foo: ?

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, I don't think I have an opinion on that except it has been seen upstream

  • tgall_foo reads backscroll

    <jcrigby> jcrigby, it seems to be interaction between xload/u-boot and kernel and hw version

    <plars> tgall_foo: basically, does panda actually boot for you without workaround, or do you see the powerdown during boot bug?

    <tgall_foo> I haven't been abel to reproduce bug #708883 on my panda

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708883 in linux-linaro "Panda board shuts down during boot" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708883

    <plars> interesting

    <asac> so this panda issue is with ethernet plugged in?

  • jcrigby need to stop sending messages to himself

  • asac never saw that but has no net plugged in atm due to various reasons

    <tgall_foo> I've always booted mine with ethernet connected .. and I've done a number of livehelper builds on my panda so ... dunno .. going to keep my eyes open for it

    <plars> asac: mine has no network plugged in last time I tried it, and it still powered off during boot

    <plars> asac: but I've also been able to reproduce it with network plugged in

    <plars> (yes, I thought of the same thing.. we used to see that with another board)

    <asac> strange i never saw that

    <JamieBennett> the only other bug I have is bug 633227 which is causing panda problems also

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 633227 in linux-ti-omap4 "instabilities with highmem activated" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/633227

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: have you been following this one?

    <asac> yes, please give us _all_ memory ;)

    <jcrigby> last I looked it seemed like an upstream problem again

    <JamieBennett> OK, lets keep that on the radar

    <asac> how bad is it if we enable all memory in cmdline?

  • JamieBennett doesn't have a panda

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: have you tried enabling all memory?

    <JamieBennett> OK, moving on

    <jcrigby> JamieBennett, I have no panda

    <JamieBennett> ah, I didn't know that

    <JamieBennett> :(

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Discusion

Progress Discusion

  • <jcrigby> I think anand would be best person to look into panda problems, he seems to understand what is upstream vs what is working in ti kernel

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: agreed

    <JamieBennett> All progress can be seen on

    <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://status.linaro.org

http://status.linaro.org

http://wiki.linaro.org/Status

  • <JamieBennett> anything that we need to discuss regarding progress/blueprints ?

    <mounir> JamieBennt, I have one for James_w

    <JamieBennett> shoot

    <mounir> some of the blueprint are shown under WG'ing just b/c the owner is listed in the Group's team

    <mounir> while these bp

    <mounir> while these bp's do not belong to that group

    <mounir> I need to follow up with James_w on those

    <JamieBennett> OK, if anyone sees discrepancies with status.l.o please let james_w know

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB

AOB

  • <JamieBennett> We finally had the meeting in under an hour ;)

    <JamieBennett> anything else before I close the meeting?

    <JamieBennett> going

    <JamieBennett> going

    <JamieBennett> gone

    <JamieBennett> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 17:48

People Present

  • JamieBennett

  • gsachin_
  • james_w
  • asac
  • slangasek
  • lool
  • ubot2
  • plars
  • tgall_foo
  • mounir
  • jcrigby

Actions Recorded

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-03 (last modified 2011-04-15 19:46:48)