Thursday 10th January 2011

Previous Actions Recorded

  • Tech Leads to check for missing Blueprints on http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html: Some debate on how we handle team member work items on other projects but looking good now.

  • plars to test A2 on Overo: ?
  • slangasek to arrange for netbook-efl seed to be changed to -desktop seed asap: Still being worked on. No unity because of Compiz but the default desktop should be available.
  • JamieBennett to produce a release checklist: C/O

Agenda

Announcements

  • New hardware pack to test, Samsung s5pv310 (Orion).
  • Linaro GDB 7.2 2011.02 released
  • Linaro GCC 4.4 and 4.5 2011.02 released

Action item review

  • See above

Image status

  • Discussions ongoing with nano.
  • ubuntu-desktop status?
  • New packaged kernel incorporating 707038 ?

Bugs

Developer Platform

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

710196

High

kernel-configuration console-setup freeze

Needs reproducing and more investigation

708123

High

alip: /apps/gksu/sudo-mode is set to false

Easy fix and annoying bug

712031

Medium

alip: can't look up localhost.localdomain

Need to setup /etc/hosts correctly

712187

Low

on a freshly-created account, xfce4-panel gives unhelpful choices

Easy fix

706033

Undecided

USB keyboard and mouse not working on overo

Anyone else with an Overo willing to test?

Infrastructure

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

670711

Critical

linaro-media-create for headless + hwpack installs packages from net

Conclusion to this?

715932

Medium

Should install btrfs-tools if missing

Needs discussion?

716479

High

linaro-image-tools requires network access to install include-debs hwpack

Validation

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Kernel WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

708883

Critical

Panda board shuts down during boot

Looks like a kernel issue but possible uboot related

707038

High

panda: no gfx due to missing kernel functionality

Patches available, needs a new kernel package from jcrigby

Toolchain WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Power Management WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Multimedia WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Graphics WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Others

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

633227

High

Instabilities with highmem activated (Panda)

Keep on the radar

Progress Information

Team reports

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-10
[TOPIC] Announcements
[TOPIC] Action item review
[TOPIC] Image Status
[TOPIC] Bugs summary
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-10#Bugs
[TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[TOPIC] Team reports
All team reports are collated at:
[LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

Meeting opened by JamieBennett at 17:02

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-10

  • <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements

Announcements

  • <JamieBennett> New hardware pack to test, Samsung s5pv310 (Orion).

    <JamieBennett> Please test/get your teams to test if you have hardware

    <JamieBennett> No reports back on this one yet, not sure of its status

    <JamieBennett> anyone have news on this one?

    <plars> very few of those in linaro it seems

  • JamieBennett nods

    <JamieBennett> Weekly testing is setup for this week

    <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://qatracker.linaro.org

http://qatracker.linaro.org

  • <JamieBennett> including the s5pv310 ;)

    <JamieBennett> Linaro GDB 7.2 2011.02 released

    <JamieBennett> Linaro GCC 4.4 and 4.5 2011.02 released

    <JamieBennett> \o/

    <asac> \o/

    <JamieBennett> any announcements from others?

    <slangasek> very few of the Orions are deployed within Linaro, but we have a cache of them

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: we should get them distributed asap

    <mounir> and Linaro QEMu releases

    <mounir> s/releases/released/

    <slangasek> I've asked StephenDoel for one for DevPlatform, now we just need to decide who should receive it

    <JamieBennett> mounir: ah of course

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: OK

    <plars> james_w: why is developer testcases an extra item?

    <JamieBennett> plars: it needs deleting from the db, I don't have rights to do that

    <slangasek> u-boot-linaro released, too :)

    <plars> JamieBennett: I think I can do that

    <JamieBennett> plars: awesome

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: when can we expect jcrigby to roll another kernel?

    <JamieBennett> especially as we have a fix for bug 707038

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 707038 in linux-linaro "panda: no gfx due to missing kernel functionality" [High,Fix committed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/707038

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: he's pushed me the branches, so it's on my plate now for sponsorship

    <JamieBennett> with the patches from above?

    <JamieBennett> npitre has them in his tree from a couple of days ago AFAIK

    <slangasek> I don't see that bug # in the changelog, but that's inconclusive

    <JamieBennett> OK, if the patches aren't there can we hold off? Getting panda video is important

    <jcrigby> panda graphics went in yesterday after I had already pushed

    <JamieBennett> ah

    <JamieBennett> is it worth rerolling for that?

    <jcrigby> I can rebase and repush if you want

    <slangasek> sounds like that would be best

    <JamieBennett> It would be a news item for the kernel :)

    <jcrigby> is the panda shutdown bug fixed?

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: thanks

    <JamieBennett> jcrigby: Its still open, I don't have a panda to test though

    <JamieBennett> plars: ?

    <plars> JamieBennett: I'll be taking a look at it with today's image

    <JamieBennett> great

    <plars> my understanding is that it still exists, but there are mixed reports

    <plars> some people seem to not be able to reproduce it

  • JamieBennett nods

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] jcrigby to reroll the linaro kernel to include Panda graphics support and repush to slangasek

jcrigby to reroll the linaro kernel to include Panda graphics support and repush to slangasek

  • <JamieBennett> ok, moving on

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Action item review

Action item review

  • <patrikryd> hi

    <JamieBennett> Tech Leads to check for missing Blueprints on http://people.canonical.com/~jamesw/workitems/natty.old/index.html

    <JamieBennett> hi patrikryd

    <JamieBennett> : Some debate on how we handle team member work items on other projects but looking good now.

    <JamieBennett> anyone see oddities on status.linaro.org apart from what amitk found an hour or so ago?

    <JamieBennett> well if you do please ping either james_w or I

    <JamieBennett> next, plars to test A2 on Overo

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: did you have a chance to look at the logs to see why DevPlatform dropped and came back up with no intervention on my part?

    <plars> done for A2, yes

    <JamieBennett> thanks plars

    <plars> reported on qatracker

    <plars> 2 of the images at least

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: I didn't, its on my todo list, I'll do that tomorrow

    <JamieBennett> slangasek to arrange for netbook-efl seed to be changed to -desktop seed asap: Still being worked on. No unity because of Compiz but the default desktop should be available.

    <JamieBennett> is that correct slangasek ?

    <slangasek> that's my understanding, yes

    <slangasek> and compiz is a Known Issue being worked on by the Graphics WG this cycle, AIUI

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: I think compiz shouldn't stop up producing a desktop experience though as apposed to the netbook interface

    <slangasek> agreed

    <JamieBennett> finally, JamieBennett to produce a release checklist

    <JamieBennett> C/O for me

    <JamieBennett> (my todo list is growing)

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Image Status

Image Status

  • <JamieBennett> slangasek: care to tell us a little about the status of nano discussions?

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: hmm, you were working directly with tgall_foo on that, I thought? The discussions I've been part of were just around the mechanics of the seed switch

    <slangasek> we should rename headless to nano

    <slangasek> where it goes from there in terms of shrinking will require some experimentation to see what gives us the best results

    <slangasek> tgall_foo is working on busybox-ing it, which will give us some savings

    <JamieBennett> right

    <JamieBennett> OK, I'll rename headless

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to rename headless to nano

JamieBennett to rename headless to nano

  • <slangasek> do you want me to take that action, since you're piling them on?

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: sure :)

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] slangasek to rename headless to nano

slangasek to rename headless to nano

  • <JamieBennett> and -desktop is coming as per discussions above. Selecting GTK over the Unity interface is still being investigated, didrocks did something for the -EFL/desktop choice, does anyone know if this is still in the images?

    <JamieBennett> or I suppose we could go with the 2d Unity experience?

    <JamieBennett> like the Ubuntu ARM team

    <slangasek> isn't that supposed to be the automatic fallback?

    <JamieBennett> GTK is the fallback AFIAK

    <slangasek> hmm, ok

    <slangasek> I think we ought to be falling back to unity 2d

    <slangasek> so I guess that needs investigation

    <JamieBennett> It needs to be in our desktop seed then, asac, thoughts?

    <JamieBennett> instinct says 2D unity like the Ubuntu ARM team

    <asac> JamieBennett: i thought we use a seed based on what the arm team does?

    <asac> so yes: unity-2d ... and once WG makes progress on gles port try to integrate that early

  • JamieBennett nods

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <JamieBennett> anything else on images?

    <plars> is there going to be a respin today?

    <plars> looks like most of the 20110210 images didn't build

    <JamieBennett> plars: respin for what

    <JamieBennett> ah

  • JamieBennett looks again

    <JamieBennett> everything failed :(

    <plars> and the 09 too it seems

    <plars> so for qatracker testing...

    <JamieBennett> sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

    <JamieBennett> not seen that one before

    <JamieBennett> anyone else have thoughts on whats causing that?

    <JamieBennett> I'll investigate after the meeting

    <james_w> nope

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary

Bugs summary

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-10#Bugs

  • <james_w> s5pv310> should we ask the LT to test that?

    <plars> I would hope they normally would, but it would probably be good to directly request it

    <asac> JamieBennett: thats good idea

    <asac> err

    <asac> james_w: ;)

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to email LT to test s5pv310

JamieBennett to email LT to test s5pv310

  • <asac> thx keep me in the loop please

    <JamieBennett> will do

    <JamieBennett> so we have a couple of bugs to discuss

    <JamieBennett> bug 710196

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 710196 in linaro "kernel-configuration console-setup freeze" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/710196

    <JamieBennett> bug 708123

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708123 in linaro "alip: /apps/gksu/sudo-mode is set to false" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708123

    <JamieBennett> so the first one, on panda reported by tgall_foo

    <JamieBennett> (so his panda boots ;) )

    <asac> should 710196 be really assigned to tgall_foo ? or is that because its not reproducible?

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: assigned it to himself, maybe he's working on the fix ;)

    <tgall_foo> I haven't been able to reproduce 710196 on my panda with any of the four images

    <JamieBennett> anyone else have a booting panda and can reproduce?

    <tgall_foo> o wait .. nm thinking different bug

    <tgall_foo> ooo ok .. I know what the cause of that one was ... nm .. shall document

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: thanks

    <JamieBennett> document where?

    <JamieBennett> on the bug I presume tgall_foo

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] tgall_foo to document cause of bug 710196

tgall_foo to document cause of bug 710196

  • <ubot2> Launchpad bug 710196 in linaro "kernel-configuration console-setup freeze" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/710196

    <JamieBennett> We still have a few easy ALIP fixes to do, bug 708123, bug 712031 and bug 712187

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708123 in linaro "alip: /apps/gksu/sudo-mode is set to false" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708123

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 712031 in linaro "alip: can't look up localhost.localdomain" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/712031

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 712187 in xfce4-panel "on a freshly-created account, xfce4-panel gives unhelpful choices" [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/712187

    <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, test build for fixing 708123, bug 712031 running currently .. hopefully submitted for review within the next hour or two

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 712031 in linaro "alip: can't look up localhost.localdomain" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/712031

    <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: thanks !

    <JamieBennett> For infrastructure, we have bug 670711, bug 715932 and bug 716479 which have similar themes

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 670711 in linaro-image-tools "linaro-media-create for headless + hwpack installs packages from net" [Critical,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/670711

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 715932 in linaro-image-tools "Should install btrfs-tools if missing" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/715932

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 716479 in linaro-image-tools "linaro-image-tools requires network access to install include-debs hwpacks" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/716479

    <JamieBennett> network requirement for installation

    <asac> i talked to james ... we have way forward for 716479 ... just filed it today

    <james_w> do we have a way forward?

    <JamieBennett> OK

    <asac> l-m-c must not use network for anything offer ... think about folks sitting behind corporate firewalls etc.

    <asac> james_w: look at the bug ;)

    <james_w> ah, those two hacks

    <JamieBennett> what about the btrfs bug asac, are you OK to carry it in seeds but when its not in the seed let the installer get it?

    <asac> no

    <asac> we have to solve the problem with the seed

    <asac> unless all options have been explored i dont want to add precedence to require network

    <JamieBennett> OK, I think seed is a good option for now

    <slangasek> the easiest solution for the seeds is to seed it in those image types where we want to support this - developer, desktop

    <slangasek> (not alip, nano)

    <JamieBennett> so no btrfs support in alip/nano ?

    <asac> no

    <asac> i want it everywhere

    <asac> even if its not easy

    <asac> meaning: innovate ;)

    <JamieBennett> lets investigate this further and revisit next week then :)

    <JamieBennett> we already discussed bug 708883 which plars will test again but it seems like is ongoing and has good feedback so far

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708883 in linux-linaro "Panda board shuts down during boot" [Critical,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708883

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Discusion

Progress Discusion

  • <asac> did we manage to isolate what the difference is for boards that do that vs. dont do that?

    <asac> (nevermind)

    <plars> nope

    <JamieBennett> asac: no, not yet

    <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://status.linaro.org

http://status.linaro.org

  • plars is sticking to his even/odd serial number theory :)

    <JamieBennett> anything worrying progress wise the teams want to bring up?

    <mounir> Copyright

    <lool> +1

    <JamieBennett> go on mounir

    <mounir> need to conclude on Linaro copyright registration with FSF so team can push their changes

    <lool> joey has this under control though

    <lool> Papers should go to post tomorrow IIUC

    <mounir> lool: very good then

    <lool> mounir: fwed to you

    <mounir> lool; Thx

    <james_w> I'm a bit concerned that our burn-down is a burn-up.

    <JamieBennett> james_w Linaro in general?

    <james_w> yeah

    <mounir> James_w: good point

    <lool> james_w: So I don't want to enter a too long discussion, but it strikes me that we could have two graphes, one being normalized

    <lool> By that I mean, fixed height showing the percentage done rather than the amount

    <JamieBennett> Is this because we only just started with the correct syntax on the burndowns though james_w ?

    <lool> this would seem to give the right trend

    <james_w> lool, sure we can, but I think that's papering over the deeper problem that this points to

    <JamieBennett> We had a massive clean up of blueprints as soon as the burndowns were generated again

    <lool> I have explanations for the trend of the amount always going up, like people actually discovering that it takes more wi to do something

    <james_w> JamieBennett, I don't think so. I think it's an increase in the number of workitems at about the rate that they are getting completed

    <lool> james_w: (Ok; I don't want to go over a lengthy discussion about the concept; just suggesting something practical)

    <mounir> James_w: we need as a team to agree on when we rebase the WI's so the WI's when done would show trending down

    <james_w> mounir, what do you mean by rebase?

    <JamieBennett> james_w: OK, lets monitor this for a couple of weeks now the tracker has settled down code wise and see if it still goes up

    <mounir> baseline the project

    <JamieBennett> (we are still below the trend line it seems ;) )

    <james_w> mounir, that still doesn't deal with the issue in my opinion

    <james_w> JamieBennett, because you picked an arbitrary start for the trend line from what I can see :-)

    <joey> I'm going to mention the latest status on the tech leads call in 8 minutes re fsf

    <joey> but the take away is that the FSF stuff is in the final phase and should be sorted by next week

    <joey> mounir:

    <JamieBennett> james_w: lets keep an eye on it, I'm half convinced its people using Launchpad correctly now

    <mounir> Joey: thanks sounds good

    <james_w> our aim shouldn't be to change the presentation of data such that we have a continual downwards trend staying below the line

    <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB

AOB

  • <JamieBennett> last call for other subjects

    <JamieBennett> [ACTION] JamieBennett to continue to monitor burndown trend to ensure we are not gaining work items still

JamieBennett to continue to monitor burndown trend to ensure we are not gaining work items still

  • <JamieBennett> OK, going once ...

    <joey> JamieBennett: there are also those errors on Jesse's MM team in LP that came across today. See my email

    <JamieBennett> ok joey

    <joey> james_w 's tracker caught them

    <joey> </joey>

    <JamieBennett> ... twice ...

    <JamieBennett> gone.

    <JamieBennett> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 17:56

People Present

  • JamieBennett

  • plars
  • asac
  • slangasek
  • mounir
  • ubot2
  • jcrigby
  • patrikryd
  • james_w
  • tgall_foo
  • lool
  • joey

Actions Recorded

  • jcrigby to reroll the linaro kernel to include Panda graphics support and repush to slangasek
  • JamieBennett to rename headless to nano

  • slangasek to rename headless to nano
  • JamieBennett to email LT to test s5pv310

  • tgall_foo to document cause of bug 710196
  • JamieBennett to continue to monitor burndown trend to ensure we are not gaining work items still

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-10 (last modified 2011-04-15 19:46:27)