Thursday 17th January 2011

Previous Actions Recorded

  • jcrigby to reroll the linaro kernel to include Panda graphics support and repush to slangasek
  • slangasek to rename headless to nano: Done, JamieBennett made new image based on headless, slangasek got it building in Offspring

  • JamieBennett to email LT to test s5pv310: Done, no reply.

  • tgall_foo to document cause of bug 710196:
  • JamieBennett to continue to monitor burndown trend to ensure we are not gaining work items still: Done, looks fine

People Present

  • JamieBennett

  • tgall_foo
  • JesseBarker

  • plars
  • lool
  • slangasek
  • jcrigby
  • asac
  • mounir
  • patrikryd

Actions Recorded

  • lool to ping Marex to enquire about support for Efika netbook support in uboot for this cycle
  • slangasek to file rt for syncing nano image to snapshots and stop headless syncing
  • slangasek to raise the issue with debian-policy on whether or not we need e2fsprogs as Essential: yes

Agenda

Announcements

  • New hardware pack to test, efikamx for smart top.
  • Feature Freeze upcoming on 2011-02-24
  • Board Support Review upcoming on 2011-02-24. Current crop of hwpacks will be assessed for completeness

Action item review

  • See above

Image status

  • Nano to test, based on headless.

Bugs

Developer Platform

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

710196

High

kernel-configuration console-setup freeze

Needs reproducing and more investigation

712187

Low

on a freshly-created account, xfce4-panel gives unhelpful choices

Easy fix

706033

Undecided

USB keyboard and mouse not working on overo

Anyone else with an Overo willing to test?

Infrastructure

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

715932

Medium

Should install btrfs-tools if missing

Needs discussion?

716479

High

linaro-image-tools requires network access to install include-debs hwpack

Validation

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Kernel WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

708883

Critical

Panda board shuts down during boot

Possible explanation available and patch available.

Toolchain WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Power Management WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Multimedia WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Graphics WG

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

Others

Bug Num

Priority

Desc

Notes

633227

High

Instabilities with highmem activated (Panda)

Keep on the radar

Progress Information

Team reports

IRC Paste Text

#startmeeting
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-17
[TOPIC] Announcements
[TOPIC] Action item review
[TOPIC] Image Status
[TOPIC] Bugs summary
[LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-17#Bugs
[TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[TOPIC] Team reports
All team reports are collated at:
[LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[TOPIC] AOB
#endmeeting

Meeting Log

Started logging meeting in #linaro-meeting
[17:02:31] <JamieBennett> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-17
[17:02:40] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Announcements
[17:02:54] <JamieBennett> * New hardware pack to test, efikamx for smart top.
[17:03:05] <JamieBennett> anyone have a smarttop to test?
[17:03:15] * tgall_foo has one
[17:03:24] <JamieBennett> shiny ;)
[17:03:34] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: I guess you get that action item then ;)
[17:03:38] * JesseBarker has a smartbook and wonders if that will help
[17:03:39] <tgall_foo> happily!
[17:03:43] <plars> JamieBennett: will it work on smartbooks as well?
[17:03:48] <JamieBennett> plars: no
[17:03:52] <plars> :(
[17:04:04] <JamieBennett> not sure if lool is working on that or not, lool?
[17:04:24] <lool> We miss upstream u-boot support first
[17:04:50] <lool> Marex, who implemented efikamx (smarttop support) said he would work on smartbook support upstream, and that it was relatively similar
[17:04:55] <lool> I don't know how far he is though
[17:05:18] <lool> tgall_foo: Note that it requires manual boot commands
[17:05:22] <lool> https://code.launchpad.net/~lool/linaro-image-tools/efikamx/+merge/50151 has the details
[17:05:29] <lool> bug is LP ##720714
[17:05:33] <lool> LP #720714
[17:05:33] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 720714 in u-boot-linaro "EfikaMX config doesn't set CONFIG_BOOTCOMMAND" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/720714
[17:05:35] <tgall_foo> lool, ok .. I have the little daughter board for serial support
[17:05:52] <JamieBennett> lool: can you email Marex to find out when we could expect this? We have Board Support Review soon so it would be helpful
[17:05:53] <lool> (the commands in the mp are from memory, might be inaccurate)
[17:06:20] <lool> JamieBennett: I'll ping him
[17:07:00] <JamieBennett> [ACTION] lool to ping Marex to enquire about support for Efika netbook support in uboot for this cycle
[17:07:03] <JamieBennett> thanks lool
[17:07:19] <JamieBennett> * slangasek to rename headless to nano: Done, JamieBennett made new image based on headless, slangasek got it building in Offspring
[17:07:36] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: how are nano investigations?
[17:07:38] <slangasek> looks like we still need to get it synced to snapshot
[17:07:46] <JamieBennett> slangasek: did you file an rt?
[17:07:51] <slangasek> not yet
[17:08:02] <slangasek> can do today
[17:08:15] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:08:38] <JamieBennett> [ACTION] slangasek to file rt for syncing nano image to snapshots and stop headless syncing
[17:08:39] <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, was a bit blocked with a germinate bug late last week .. but whittling continues slowly .. I'm pretty CPU bound right now with various builds and things so forward progress is a bit slow ... we need to get the nano image setup in the build system tho
[17:09:00] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: Offspring is building it atm
[17:09:05] <JamieBennett> so that bit is in place
[17:09:06] <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, great, thanks!
[17:09:34] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: I presume 2D Unity seed is on its way too?
[17:10:10] <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, yes
[17:10:29] <JamieBennett> OK, when do you expect we need that setting up in Offspring?
[17:11:28] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: ?
[17:11:37] <tgall_foo> that'll be function of how well testing goes
[17:11:47] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: so this week or next ;)
[17:11:51] <tgall_foo> I'd guess early next week
[17:11:56] <JamieBennett> OK great
[17:12:08] <JamieBennett> * JamieBennett to email LT to test s5pv310: Done, no reply as yet.
[17:12:20] <JamieBennett> * tgall_foo to document cause of bug 710196:
[17:12:21] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 710196 in linaro "kernel-configuration console-setup freeze" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/710196
[17:12:26] <JamieBennett> this was done
[17:12:53] <JamieBennett> * JamieBennett to continue to monitor burndown trend to ensure we are not gaining work items still: Done, looks fine
[17:13:50] <JamieBennett> just skipped a heading there, anyway, continuing on with action items
[17:14:50] <JamieBennett> jcrigby to reroll the linaro kernel to include Panda graphics support and repush to slangasek
[17:14:55] <JamieBennett> slangasek: this happened right?
[17:15:23] <jcrigby> JamieBennett, it happened and broke the panda hwpack in the process
[17:15:49] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: I see its building, was this fixed?
[17:15:53] <jcrigby> JamieBennett, kernel crashes on way up, plars entered bug yesterday, chasing now
[17:15:59] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: OK
[17:16:02] <lool> jcrigby: Could you include doanac's overo patch as well? -- if sensibe
[17:16:07] <lool> sensible
[17:16:10] <lool> it fixes video output on over
[17:16:12] <lool> overo
[17:16:21] <lool> LP #660811
[17:16:23] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 660811 in linux "Display is not working on Gumstix Overo" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/660811
[17:17:00] <jcrigby> lool, yes I will look at that for next build. Next build will likely be npitre's new .38 kernel
[17:17:10] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: do you have a bug number for that panda crash?
[17:17:32] <jcrigby> 720055
[17:17:44] <jcrigby> bug 720055
[17:17:45] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 720055 in linux-linaro-omap "Unhandled fault: imprecise external abort (0x1406) at 0x2ada61a8" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/720055
[17:18:26] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: OK so the plan is to fix that and reroll/publish?
[17:19:18] <jcrigby> if we want another linux-linaro-2.6.37 kernel yes or you can wait for .38
[17:19:34] <jcrigby> or it might be the same depending on timing of .38:)
[17:19:41] <JamieBennett> .38 will be available when?
[17:20:02] <jcrigby> not sure
[17:20:13] <jcrigby> standby
[17:20:17] <JamieBennett> :) OK
[17:20:27] <JamieBennett> I'll move on
[17:20:29] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Image Status
[17:20:55] <JamieBennett> So we have a new nano image but its not on snapshots atm, stay tuned for that one
[17:21:36] <JamieBennett> we had a couple of build failures today for no apparent reason, ALIP has rebuilt fine and netbook is building
[17:22:18] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Bugs summary
[17:22:41] <JamieBennett> So we have bug 710196
[17:22:42] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 710196 in linaro "kernel-configuration console-setup freeze" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/710196
[17:22:49] <jcrigby> JamieBennett, still not sure on .38 but my understanding was that he was waiting for -rc5 which happened Tuesday so I would guess that it will be coming soon
[17:23:07] <JamieBennett> jcrigby: thanks
[17:23:34] <JamieBennett> as for the bug, we need to retest when a new kernel is available
[17:23:45] <JamieBennett> bug 712187
[17:23:46] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 712187 in xfce4-panel "on a freshly-created account, xfce4-panel gives unhelpful choices" [Undecided,Invalid] https://launchpad.net/bugs/712187
[17:24:09] <JamieBennett> tgall_foo: did you take a look at this?
[17:24:19] <tgall_foo> JamieBennett, no I don't think I have
[17:24:33] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:24:40] <JamieBennett> seems an easy fix
[17:24:58] <JamieBennett> bug 706033
[17:24:59] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 706033 in linux-linaro-omap "USB keyboard and mouse not working on overo" [Undecided,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/706033
[17:25:22] <JamieBennett> anyone with an overo care to test that?
[17:26:20] <JamieBennett> Andy's comment seems sound
[17:26:43] <JamieBennett> bug: 715932
[17:26:51] <JamieBennett> bug 715932
[17:26:52] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 715932 in linaro-image-tools "Should install btrfs-tools if missing" [Medium,Triaged] https://launchpad.net/bugs/715932
[17:27:12] <JamieBennett> asac: are you still dead against any network activity in l-m-c
[17:27:13] <JamieBennett> ?
[17:27:31] <JamieBennett> related is bug 716479
[17:27:32] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 716479 in linaro-image-tools "linaro-image-tools requires network access to install include-debs hwpacks" [High,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/716479
[17:27:59] <asac> JamieBennett: yes. i would prefer to not open that box
[17:28:22] <asac> partners have firewalls etc.
[17:28:32] <asac> you take hwpacks go to a not net connected machine and install it etc.
[17:28:51] <JamieBennett> as I think we are at a standstill on that bug then, slangasek has opinion not to carry btrfs-tools in the images
[17:29:00] <JamieBennett> I'll start an email discussion on it
[17:29:12] <slangasek> no, not "in the images", just not in the headless (nano) image
[17:29:18] <asac> JamieBennett: dont start discussion on network access or not
[17:29:19] <slangasek> seed it in any of the other images you want :)
[17:29:25] <asac> rather on how can we get btrfs
[17:29:38] <asac> e.g. do we need those tools? maybe we can disable fsck?
[17:29:41] <slangasek> by the time we're done, nano may not have any filesystem at all
[17:29:46] <asac> ;)
[17:29:55] <JamieBennett> :)
[17:30:05] * tgall_foo feels the pressure now
[17:30:12] <JamieBennett> OK so we are happy to have it in all the images apart from nano
[17:30:12] <asac> if headless is nano i understand that we might not want to add stuff
[17:30:29] <asac> but at the same rate, we might also want to look why we would want e2fsprogs if someone uses btrfs
[17:30:39] <slangasek> because e2fsprogs is Essential: yes :)
[17:31:14] <slangasek> maybe that's a bug these days, I don't know
[17:31:16] <asac> thats a weak argument if you think about the technical reasons ;)
[17:31:22] <asac> yeah
[17:31:59] <asac> lets take this offline and see what we can do over this week
[17:32:18] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:32:19] <slangasek> let me take an action to raise that as a bug with debian-policy, actually - maybe there is no reason for it to be essential anymore
[17:32:43] <asac> cool. i like reviewing never questioned decisions of the past :)
[17:33:18] <JamieBennett> [ACTION] slangasek to raise the issue with debian-policy on whether or not we need e2fsprogs as Essential: yes
[17:33:36] <JamieBennett> great
[17:33:39] <JamieBennett> bug 708883
[17:33:40] <ubot2> Launchpad bug 708883 in linux-linaro "Panda board shuts down during boot" [Critical,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/708883
[17:33:48] <JamieBennett> so we seem to have an explanation here
[17:34:09] <JamieBennett> hardware issue on the regulators
[17:34:21] <JamieBennett> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro/+bug/708883/comments/37
[17:34:22] <ubot2> Ubuntu bug 708883 in linux-linaro "Panda board shuts down during boot" [Critical,Confirmed]
[17:34:35] <JamieBennett> also a patch available
[17:35:08] <JamieBennett> npitre: is this something you need to take ?
[17:35:39] <mounir> JamieBennett; Aneesh is looking and helping with this one
[17:35:50] <JamieBennett> mounir: ah, great, so you are already on it?
[17:36:06] <JamieBennett> working with npitre ?
[17:36:27] <mounir> JamieBennett: we discuss this one at the WG meeting
[17:36:53] <JamieBennett> mounir: and the outcome?
[17:37:32] <mounir> JamieBennet: as you said there is an explanation and a patch (umasking the interupt) will see if that would solve it
[17:37:39] <JamieBennett> OK
[17:38:23] <JamieBennett> any other bugs worth mentioning this week?
[17:39:14] <JamieBennett> moving on
[17:39:16] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Progress Discusion
[17:39:27] <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://status.linaro.org
[17:39:37] <JamieBennett> So we look on track still, just
[17:39:47] <JamieBennett> you will notice status got a couple of changes this week
[17:40:01] <JamieBennett> Of note is the summary info at the top
[17:40:24] <JamieBennett> and the scary comment about how many work items we need to close per day to be on track, currently 10.29 ;)
[17:40:41] <JamieBennett> any team progress issues to raise here?
[17:41:42] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] Team reports
[17:41:49] <JamieBennett> All team reports are collated at:
[17:41:50] <JamieBennett> [LINK] http://wiki.linaro.org/Status
[17:42:38] <JamieBennett> As we don't have an Android report this week (I'll fix that), patrikryd would you like to give a summary of what happened in Linaro Android land this week?
[17:42:59] <JamieBennett> anything of note?
[17:43:10] <patrikryd> not much
[17:43:37] <JamieBennett> we got a new mascot ;) https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Android
[17:43:45] <patrikryd> we added support for the 0xbench benchmark program,
[17:44:59] <JamieBennett> OK, any other teams want to report here?
[17:45:08] <JamieBennett> on Release related progress?
[17:46:02] <slangasek> reminder of the upcoming feature freeze? :)
[17:46:20] <JamieBennett> Feature Freeze upcoming on 2011-02-24
[17:46:41] <slangasek> so send DevPlatform your goodness :-)
[17:46:46] <JamieBennett> https://wiki.linaro.org/Process/Cycle/FeatureFreeze
[17:47:13] <JamieBennett> All new features have to be approved so get them in as soon as possible !
[17:47:28] <JamieBennett> also Board Support Review upcoming on 2011-02-24. Current crop of hwpacks will be assessed for completeness
[17:48:29] <JamieBennett> [TOPIC] AOB
[17:49:49] <JamieBennett> #endmeeting
Meeting ended.

Cycles/WeeklyReleaseMeeting/2011-02-17 (last modified 2011-04-15 19:46:05)