Enterprise Engineering meeting 08 Nov 2012

Attendance

In the EU/Asian TZ meeting

  • Andrea Gallo
  • David Rusling
  • Ilias Biris
  • Leif Lindholm
  • Rony Nandy
  • Ryan Harkin
  • Steve Capper
  • Steve McIntyre

In the US TZ meeting

  • Al Stone
  • Andrea Gallo
  • Ilias Biris
  • Leif Lindholm

Agenda

  • First time meeting after the announcement of LEG. This engineering meeting has now been split into 2 parts - one on Thursdays 12:00 UTC for EU/Asian timezones and another on Thursdays 17:00 UTC for US timezones.
  • Status
    • Al Stone:
      • Discussed about the work done by Fedora to scan packages for inline assembly dependency.
      • ACTION: Al will look into getting the list of packages which are dependent on inline assembly and would need to be reworked for ARM servers.
    • Leif:
    • Rony:
      • Continuing on '''UEFI bootstrapping''' on Origen to close that work, has now ready LAVA scripts to send to Dave Pigott. Still testing is limited due to the lack of sdmux support on LAVA.

        • ACTION: Rony to send the LAVA scripts for UEFI testing on Origen to Dave Pigott, and review the card with Ilias so that it can be closed
      • Wrote up some instructions on getting Arndale board up and running with a tentative Enterprise image.

      • Created a Launchpad project for Arndale bug reports.

      • Provided some responses to questions on the UEFI mailing list (http on git).
    • Ryan:
      • Not much new business to report
      • Will be looking at changing UEFI from having a global DT binary to having a local binary - this means possibility to create of more than 1 boot configurations and thus can have different DT binaries for the different configurations

    • SteveC:
      • Progressing on CRC optimisation with NEON. Has now optimised it quite a bit (check CRC wiki documentation for details) - 30% on A15 and over 50% on A9.

      • The same wiki page contains the information on the efforts around compression algorithm optimisation as well as a summary of the effect that activating huge pages support in the kernel had on compression overall speed (quite considerable improvement observed). Related to this work Steve has posted some patches to linux-kernel mailing list related to enabling huge pages.

    • SteveM: trying to close off some previous work (ptrace - making it work for ARMv8 and also working on some remaining binutils patches).
  • Roadmap
    • Cards
      • 2 epic cards have been drafted UEFI/ACPI - kernel image and Enterprise packages/components scanning and benchmarking. Feedback is being collected to get them in good shape for further work.

        • For the GCC and KVM work that is carried out by the Toolchain WG and it will be followed (Ilias will attend their calls and raise any questions regarding that work with TCWG)
      • Andrea clarified the priorities: UEFI/ACPI image, x86/ARM scanning for inline assembly and benchmarking, KVM work and GCC related work are the priorities. The cards for KVM and GCC are handled by the toolchain working group.
      • Information from the steering committee meeting: the cards and the spreadsheet with the priority list of targets which Andrea has put together are seen as a good first step. A suggestion to look into specific workloads was made - in particular work on memcache and other activities related to micro-server high-density clusters. A draft of this recommendation will be circulated soon.
      • Also from the LEG-SC a question: why do we need to spend time on boot-level development? Could we not use qemu for v8 to bypass boot-level work? Even if there is nothing server specific about the boot level, the server group is interested in the boot-level work items as well.
  • Documentation
    • Wiki: There a number of pages in the Linaro wiki where documentation for Enterprise related work resides. In particular a number of those pages are under OCTO since the prework for Enterprise started as OCTO activity. As such some tidying up is in order to consolidate the wiki pages under LEG.
      • We need to create an external wiki for LEG
      • Some obsolete wiki pages under OCTO should be cleared out
      • Any non-obsolete bits should be redirected from the external LEG wiki page
      • ACTION: Andrea will discuss this with Loic to clear what content should be placed under the external LEG wiki
  • Other business
    • Sprint in Cambridge: should be organised around UEFI to discuss the maintainership model and achieve perhaps some integration stage with LAVA to help with quality assurance of ongoing work. Also will focus on restructuring/refactoring the code to be more scalable. A proposed agenda will be communicated soon to define who needs to be there and for how long (tentative duration would be around 2 weeks). Also it is important to ping Olivier regarding the tests he is running for UEFI and also their relationship with SCT. ACTION Andrea to collect the feedback from Grant Likely, Olivier in order to organise this sprint.
    • Issue - For any GRUB2 upstreaming significant changes there is need to go through the FSF copyright assignment process. ACTION: Ilias to initiate and followup the discussion with the necessary Linaro folks who could handle this (presumably this has been done before eg for toolchain related work)

Action From This Meeting

  • ACTION: Al will look into getting the list of Fedora packages which are dependent on inline assembly and would need to be reworked for ARM servers.
  • ACTION: Leif should update the backlog wiki page with the items which are now done for GRUB work

  • ACTION: Rony to send the LAVA scripts for UEFI testing on Origen to Dave Pigott, and review the corresponding card with Ilias so that it can be closed
  • ACTION Andrea to ping Grant Likely, Olivier Martin in order to organise the UEFI Cambridge sprint
  • ACTION: Andrea will discuss this with Loic to clear what content should be placed under the external LEG wiki
  • ACTION: Ilias to initiate and followup the discussion with the necessary Linaro folks related to the FSF copyright assignment process for the upstreaming of GRUB significant updates
  • Record actions from this meeting

Issues

  • For any GRUB2 upstreaming significant changes there is need to go through the FSF copyright assignment process. ACTION: Ilias to initiate and followup the discussion with the necessary Linaro folks who could handle this (presumably this has been done before eg for toolchain related work)

LEG/Engineering/Meetings/2012-11-08 (last modified 2012-11-29 16:28:14)