Wednesday 6 Oct 2010

People Present

  • slangasek
  • JamieBennett

  • dmart
  • hrw
  • jcrigby
  • ppearse
  • wookey
  • npitre
  • aviksil

Agenda

  • Review action items from last meeting
  • Blueprint status
  • Blueprint

    Assignee

    Status

    arm-m-ael-alip-evaluation

    ppearse

    gstreamer package now cross-builds, with ppa patches; work on providing flavored cross-compiler packages for other ARM optimization targets

    arm-m-cross-compilers

    hrw

    lucid backport cross-compilers available at http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-lucid-armel-cross-compilers/

    arm-m-kernel-version-alignment

    npitre, jcrigby

    tracking Ubuntu kernel package changes for an immediate post-maverick SRU of linux-linaro

    arm-m-memory-footprint

    dmart

    working on memory usage statistics from the headless image

    arm-m-missing-security-features

    npitre

    most Linaro kernel patches now pushed upstream and accepted!

    arm-m-uboot-features-and-performance

    jcrigby

    device-tree testing from smoothwall, reported upstream; ux500 u-boot has been merged into the -next tree

    arm-m-xdeb-cross-compilation-environment

    wookey

    updates to multistrap and pdebuild-cross packages in Ubuntu maverick. xdeb fix for correct Packages file processing is due this week.

Action Items from this Meeting

  • hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa

Action Items from Previous Meeting

  • JamieBennett to ask Anmar about improving http://www.linaro.org/about-linaro/

  • lool to solicit toolchain WG input on bug #615765 (DONE)
  • hrw,ppearse to discuss possible versioning problem blocking PPA uploads (DONE)
  • dmart to test that linux-linaro-tools package in maverick DTRT (DONE)
  • slangasek to post DebConf 10 gobby notes publically (DONE)

  • slangasek to nudge Keybuk to review bootchart changes rather than redirecting to upstream, since Ubuntu and upstream are quite out of sync

Status Reports

Peter Pearse

Progress

  • arm-m-ael-alip-evaluation
    • PPA for cross build patched source set up
    • Built more packages straight from Ubuntu with xdeb
      • 53 of 82 packages in the original alip-ael can be built now
  • arm-m-ael-alip-appman-ext
    • None this week

Issues

  • Somewhere to put flavoured binaries & associated host toolchain binaries

Plans

Marcin Juszkiewicz

binutils

  • bug 648895 (x86 coreboot/seabios does not compile)
    • bisected to binutils rev
    • provided examples for upstream
    • upstream assigned bug

nokia

  • did test build of gcc-4.4/binutils with /opt/linaro/ prefix (not shared packages)

lucid

  • provided amd64 and i386 armel cross compilers on p.c.c/~hrw/

gcc

  • did reverse cross builds of gcc-4.4 (works) and gcc-4.5 (fails - working on fixes)

ubuntu

  • bug 649810 - ftfbs cdebconf-terminal

linaro

  • tested omap3-headless on beagleboard - awesome image, I like it
  • reported few bugs against linaro-media-create

Wookey

Progress

Issues

  • Can't sensibly mail linaro-dev about shiny new cross-build stuff till it is actually uploaded (or I make a PPA)
  • xapt --only-explicit still only builds 8 out of 72 packages. 26 it thinks are already done. 6 due to dbus chroot-install failure. About 40 don't actually cross-build.

Plans

  • file cross-build bugs on failing packages
  • Fix some of said packages (with ppearse)
  • re-file xdeb patches incorporating lool comments
  • further xdeb work on bugs
  • Write to linaro-dev on cross-build state
  • Write to linaro-dev on hardfloat/software float port long-term issues
  • Update wiki with more cross-building info and current state of play
  • Make a proper publically-accessible cross-autobuilder for Debian and

Nicolas Pitre

  • Follow-up on the linux-arm-kernel list about performance implications related to runtime patching of code using a variable PHYS_OFFSET, based on feedback I received from Richard Earnshaw.
  • More cogitations about DT and the current state of things.
  • Initial look through the OMAP4430 documentation (huge!!!)
  • Preparation of a Git pull request with a couple patches I've produced recently for RMK to pull.
  • Implemented poll/fasync for the /dev/vcs* devices, in a first step to extend battery life on my laptop with braille output:
  • Usual misc (meeting attendance, mailing list monitoring, etc.)

Jamie Bennett

This Week

Release

Process

Development
  • Some hacking on editmoin to investigate adding functionality to upload attachments.
  • Lots of merging of proposed branches into seeds, configs, tools.

Meetings
  • Meeting with Kate the Ubuntu Release Manager, Anmar to discuss Linaro@UDS and sponsored attendees.
  • Infrastructure stake holder meeting, pushing for some subtle project management related changes to Launchpad.
  • Weekly Foundations, Linaro Release and Ubuntu Release meetings.

Misc
  • Sponsored attendee's of Linaro@UDS related admin.
  • Some work around Linaro@UDS logistics.
  • Some Linaro sprint admin tasks.
  • Vacation Friday.

Future

  • Finish editmoin hacking.
  • Write-up of post-Maverick process.
  • Investigate alternative project management tool for next cycle. Maybe we can inject Launchpad data into an external tool which will help?

Meeting Log

Meeting opened by slangasek at 15:06

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Foundations/2010-10-06

  • <slangasek> [TOPIC] Review action items from last meeting

Review action items from last meeting

  • <slangasek> * JamieBennett to ask Anmar about improving http://www.linaro.org/about-linaro/

    <slangasek> * lool to solicit toolchain WG input on bug #615765 (DONE)

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 615765 in binutils (Ubuntu Maverick) (and 2 other projects) "Host strip corrupts cross-built armel archives (affects: 1) (heat: 74)" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/615765

    <slangasek> * hrw,ppearse to discuss possible versioning problem blocking PPA uploads (DONE)

    <slangasek> * dmart to test that linux-linaro-tools package in maverick DTRT

    <slangasek> * slangasek to post DebConf 10 gobby notes publically (DONE)

    <slangasek> JamieBennett's is a carry-over, Linaro@UDS taking precedence

    <slangasek> * slangasek to nudge Keybuk to review bootchart changes rather than redirecting to upstream, since Ubuntu and upstream are quite out of sync

    <slangasek> dmart: since we haven't gotten anywhere with the bootchart issue, does that fall off the list? Do you know if there's a plan to get Ubuntu bootchart packaged merged with current upstream next cycle?

    <dmart> slangasek: I don't know of a plan right now

    <slangasek> ok, carry over for now

    <dmart> I still have an action to sync up with upstream, but don't know how/when that gets into Ubuntu

    <slangasek> dmart: and did you have a chance to test linux-linaro-tools?

    <dmart> I dropped that one, due to the distraction of going on holiday...

    <dmart> ...but I'm trying it now.

    <slangasek> ok, carry-over for now

    <slangasek> thanks

    <dmart> Hopefully, I'll have a result during the meeting.

    <slangasek> [TOPIC] Blueprint status

Blueprint status

  • <slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e hrw npitre jcrigby dmart wookey slangasek ppearse JamieBennett aviksil)

    <slangasek> hrw aviksil ppearse dmart wookey slangasek jcrigby npitre JamieBennett

    <slangasek> hrw: go! :)

    <hrw> o...

    <hrw> tested omap3-headless on beagleboard - works nice and is first Ubuntu rootfs which I like

    <slangasek> heh :)

    <hrw> Lucid users got armel cross compilers from Maverick - http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-lucid-armel-cross-compilers/

    <hrw> helped a bit for Michael Hope with providing toolchain for Nokia

    <slangasek> is their sysroot question sorted out now?

    <hrw> sent armel-cross-toolchain-base updates to slangasek for review. will fix two bugs: bug #598389 and bug #646729

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 598389 in ncurses (Ubuntu) (and 5 other projects) "Cross build needs rpath with xdeb (affects: 1) (heat: 45)" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/598389

    <ubot2> Launchpad bug 646729 in armel-cross-toolchain-base (Ubuntu) "Packages built with modified gcc fail to install (affects: 1) (heat: 487)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/646729

    <slangasek> hrw: hmm, to me? I haven't seen any mail at all about this

    <hrw> slangasek: they have working toolchain now

    <hrw> slangasek: just sent

    <slangasek> ah, ok

    <slangasek> working toolchain> excellet :)

    <hrw> Nokia also wants to play with hard-float

    <slangasek> +n

    <hrw> they asked about it today

    <wookey> I was just talking to rusling about that

    <wookey> and dmart

    <slangasek> hard-float is much talked about ;)

    <hrw> thats all from me I think

    <slangasek> hrw: thanks

    <slangasek> aviksil: how are you getting on with lttng investigations?

    <aviksil> i'm yet to install it on my Lucid

    <slangasek> aviksil: ok. any blocking issues that we should call attention to?

    <aviksil> so far i've downloaded maverick using schroot & debootstrap

    <aviksil> but yet to install userspace tracer

    <slangasek> ok, moving forward then, great :)

    <aviksil> slangasek: shall i wait till Sunday for Maverick?

    <aviksil> for running on VM?

    <slangasek> aviksil: the differences between now and Sunday will be minimal since Ubuntu is now in a deep freeze... I don't think you should wait

    <hrw> aviksil: Maverick nearly does not change now

    <aviksil> ok

  • hrw added first post-maverick ppa yesterday to get some updates

    <slangasek> aviksil: thanks for the report

    <slangasek> ppearse:

    <ppearse> Still pushing up patched sources.....

    <ppearse> Did gstreamer today

    <ppearse> Will be putting up armel flavoured gcc sources this week

    <slangasek> available in a ppa now for everyone to play with \o/

    <ppearse> That's all really - keeps me busy....

    <hrw> ppearse: arm5/6 toolchains?

    <ppearse> hrw: Not sure whether the flavoured source will get built into flavoured binaries I'll check when they're built

    <hrw> I have an arm hardware for which fsf gcc does not give proper code anyway

    <ppearse> hrw: May be folks have to : Install the flavoured gcc source from my PPA, run your cross toolchain packages on thsat

    <ppearse> s/s//

    <hrw> ppearse: mail me informations about which changes you need and I can integrate it into mine packages

    <slangasek> ppearse: unless I'm mistaken, your ppa is virtualized and doesn't produce arm binaries at all, v7 or otherwise?

    <slangasek> or is that not what you're referring to

    <ppearse> no I'm referring to amd64 throughout. The flavoured gcc gets installed on the host and use to build host cross compilers that default to that flavour.

    <slangasek> ah; and this hasn't been fully tested yet in ppa form?

    <ppearse> hrw: No changes required in your packages - just in the host gcc source

    <hrw> ppearse: which can be done by patching

    <ppearse> slangasek: No - I'm hoping uplaoding hrw's cross chain build packages together with the flavoured gcc might give flavoured cross chain binaries....

    <slangasek> hrw, ppearse: action item to discuss this out-of-band?

    <hrw> ppearse: apt-get source armel-cross-toolchain-base; cd armel-cross*;echo "armv5te" >debian/flavour;debuild -b

    <ppearse> OK

    <hrw> slangasek: yep

    <slangasek> [ACTION] hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa

hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa

  • <slangasek> dmart:

    <dmart> Not much to report, due to being on holiday for most of the time

    <slangasek> holiday photos accepted in lieu of blueprint status

    <slangasek> :)

    <dmart> unfortunately, I didn't collect evidence...

    <dmart> Currently, I'm working on pulling some memory usage stats out of the headless files

    <dmart> s/files/filesystem/

    <dmart> jcrigby: linux-linaro-tools seems to do something sensible

    <slangasek> \o/

    <jcrigby> wonderful

    <dmart> jcrigby: ... is it intentional not to build with libnewt? You get a nice UI for browsing the results that way

    <jcrigby> dmart, dunno

    <dmart> jcrigby: also, could we have a linux-linaro-tools metapackage (as for linux-tools)? This makes is easier to install the right package

    <jcrigby> I suppose, someone smarter than me please answer

    <dmart> Anyway, looks like I can profile things like cache and TLB misses on omap3, so the perf backend stuff seems to be working well.

    <slangasek> dmart: file a bug against linux-linaro-meta for this?

    <dmart> slangasek: ok

    <dmart> It's nice-to-have, but not critical.

    <jcrigby> dmart, does such a meta exist on ubuntu side?

    <slangasek> it does

    <jcrigby> slangasek, ok

    <dmart> It's analogous to the linux-image-<platform> metapackages IIUD

    <dmart> IIUC

    <slangasek> ok to move on?

    <dmart> yup, I think that's all from me for now

    <slangasek> wookey:

    <wookey> multistrap and pdebuild-cross both had feedback and changes and new patches.

    <wookey> Steve fixed apt v0.8 auth problem (wot a nice man).

    <wookey> Changes merged back into emdebian svn, should soon go into Debian experimental (waiting on me testing).

    <wookey> So new versions now in Ubuntu (Actual working cross-builds modulo packaging/strip issues, I hope :-).

    <wookey> Need to do an ALIP rebuild to check stuff works adquately in practice.

    <wookey> Only outstanding issue is re-install option to deal with diverts, which may or may not actually make much difference in practice.

    <wookey> xdeb changes need to be redone as merge requests - any second now (been tied up in admin and ARM stuff last 2 days)

    <wookey> Steve, is that too late for maverick now (I saw comment about deep freeze above)?

    <wookey> or can we slip it in?

    <wookey> if I get my finger out this evg

    <slangasek> wookey: maybe; we might want to just toss it straight to the stable updates queue

    <slangasek> rather than imposing on the good graces of the Ubuntu release team

    <wookey> OK

    <wookey> wookey on holiday 10th-17th

    <wookey> I think that's it

    <slangasek> thanks

    <slangasek> as soon as you have those xdeb changes ready for merge, please let me know

    <wookey> will do

    <slangasek> I twisted lool's arm into giving me commit access to the xdeb branch now, so I can meaningfully help with reviews instead of passing the buck to him

    <wookey> OK, that'll help

    <slangasek> slangasek:

    <wookey> he has enough hats already

    <slangasek> indeed :)

    <wookey> (not that I've been waiting on him :-)

    <slangasek> multiarch - the Ubuntu foundations team has helpfully retargeted this spec to natty for us, taking it completely off the radar for 10.11 ;)

    <slangasek> making baby steps on that, here and there... like getting debconf notes posted :P

    <hrw> slangasek: will there be any multiarch sessions at uds?

    <wookey> of course :-)

    <slangasek> hrw: yes

  • hrw subscribes

    <wookey> we love talking about multiarch

    <slangasek> maybe Ubuntu foundations is running one... if not, we should have one... either way, it'll be on the agenda :)

    <slangasek> any questions?

    <slangasek> jcrigby:

    <jcrigby> u-boot:

    <jcrigby> Rob Herring is booting device tree enabled kernel with my u-boot patches at his new job

    <jcrigby> He has sent a Tested-by: to u-boot mailing list

    <wookey> what's his new job?

    <jcrigby> some secret arm thing

    <jcrigby> smoothwall

    <wookey> aha :-)

    <slangasek> heh :)

    <jcrigby> did a merge of ux500 u-boot with our other platforms and put it in our -next

    <jcrigby> fgu is testing

    <slangasek> so does smoothwall count as a "real world" system yet? :)

    <jcrigby> it is on simulator right now

    <slangasek> mmk :)

    <jcrigby> kernel:

    <jcrigby> pushing new ux500 kernel to ppa today

    <jcrigby> watching ubuntu kernel patches

    <jcrigby> will do new kernel once they do day zero kernel

    <jcrigby> or whatever that is called

    <slangasek> jcrigby: ok, so you're in the loop on what they have going into that kernel?

    <jcrigby> yes, they are using their normal git tree

    <slangasek> they call it a "0-day kernel"... I disagree strenuously with this nomenclature :)

    <jcrigby> no rebase so far so picking up changes will be real easy

    <slangasek> great!

    <slangasek> are they planning to wait until Monday to upload this, do you know?

    <jcrigby> thats about it

    <jcrigby> I will ask

    <slangasek> the SRU queue should be open before then

    <slangasek> i.e., post-release updates don't /have/ to wait until the day of release to be uploaded :)

    <jcrigby> right

    <slangasek> ok, thanks

    <slangasek> npitre:

    <npitre> been pushing kernel patches to RMK

    <npitre> he merged most of them so far

    <npitre> had to "justify" another one, no reaction yet

    <slangasek> great :)

    <npitre> the issue of DT support was discussed in the kernel WG meeting

    <npitre> gcl and I agreed that DT wouldn't be production ready for the 11.05 release

    <npitre> there is simply too much work to do, and gcl doesn't want to take shortcuts which would undermine acceptance in mainline

    <slangasek> agreed

    <slangasek> not production ready - will it be far enough along that we'll want to offer some images at 11.05 that use it?

    <slangasek> preview images of some sort

    <npitre> problem is that DT support is still pretty much in flux

    <slangasek> sure

    <npitre> we still didn't settle on the proper way to identify machines with compatibility fallbacks

    <npitre> and the IRQ mapping is getting hairy too

    <slangasek> ok - so we probably shouldn't be getting our hopes up for 11.05, even for test images

    <slangasek> that's alright :)

    <npitre> I don't think it would be useful to provide people with linaro "sanctioned" images if the infrastructure is to change by the time this stuff hits mainline

    <slangasek> npitre: anything else going on?

    <npitre> I should take care of some patches from others

    <npitre> jk is on vacation and he asked me to push some sets of his

    <slangasek> definitely happy for you to help with that

    <npitre> there are also some work from Eric Miao that should be pushed (no idea why Eric is silent about it)

    <npitre> I should also start looking at some items for the next cycle

    <npitre> some of them are fairly trivial and might even be dealt with before UDS

    <slangasek> npitre: have you been asked to help with any blueprint drafting on the kernel WG side?

    <npitre> not yet

    <slangasek> ok

    <npitre> I'm willing to help

    <slangasek> foundations engineering blueprints will start to be divvied up this week... today, if I get to it

    <npitre> that's it

    <slangasek> thanks

    <slangasek> JamieBennett:

    <JamieBennett> For me, brace yourselves:

    <JamieBennett> * Weekly testing initiative, going well, another round tomorrow

    <JamieBennett> * Documentation around image installation:

    <JamieBennett> * e.g. http://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/DailyBuilds

    <JamieBennett> * Planning Linaro@UDS, sponsorships, attendee logistics e.t.c. Also some work on the conveying information on the Sprint in Jan.

    <JamieBennett> * Lots of planning for next cycles project management and tracking needs

    <JamieBennett> * Sorting out alignment with ARM for their needs for next cycle

    <JamieBennett> * editmoin and bug-track hacking

    <JamieBennett> * live-helper config branch merging

    <JamieBennett> * Trimming hw specific bits out of all our images, now you *need* hwpacks

    <JamieBennett> * Bug triaging

    <JamieBennett> * lots of misc other things

    <JamieBennett> phew!

    <JamieBennett> EOF

    <slangasek> need hwpacks - and don't get duplicate kernels on your base image :)

    <JamieBennett> right

    <slangasek> JamieBennett: does editmoin do attachments now?

    <JamieBennett> slangasek: just fighting with it as we speak, putting the final touches on it

    <slangasek> sweet

    <slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB

AOB

  • <slangasek> anything else that's new and groovy in the world of Linaro?

  • hrw started learning English (again)

    <wookey> when does the blueprint drafting/arguing about new subjects happen?

    <wookey> next 2 weeks I guess?

    <slangasek> wookey: by next week at the latest

    <wookey> start or end? (as I am away neext week)

    <slangasek> start

    <slangasek> i.e., by next week at the latest I'll have the engineering blueprints in the system for you guys to start drafting work on

    <wookey> OK, and the idea is that that process goes on through UDS to finish up afterwards?

    <slangasek> yep

    <wookey> but who chooses the list/titles? that is done already?

    <slangasek> wookey: mostly driven by the TSC technical requirements for the cycle; but if you have topics you want to talk about that aren't on their list, please send them to me

    <slangasek> (did my email about this manage to make it out?)

    <wookey> well, I don';t know wht the list is you see :-)

    <wookey> or maybe I missed something

    <slangasek> wookey: should be covered in the email that I sent out yesterday, unless it didn't make it to you

    <slangasek> anyway, the TSC list is https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics

    <wookey> ah 'linaro @ UDS session'?

    <slangasek> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics

https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics

  • <slangasek> wookey: yep

    <slangasek> :)

    <wookey> sorry didn't connect that with 'blueprint planning'

    <wookey> not managing to read all of the flood of linaro mail at the moment

    <wookey> wil look

    <slangasek> ok, thanks

    <slangasek> #endmeeting


Meeting closed at 16:13

Platform/DevPlatform/Meetings/2010-10-06 (last modified 2011-03-11 11:33:10)