Wednesday 6 Oct 2010
- Review action items from last meeting
- Blueprint status
gstreamer package now cross-builds, with ppa patches; work on providing flavored cross-compiler packages for other ARM optimization targets
lucid backport cross-compilers available at http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-lucid-armel-cross-compilers/
tracking Ubuntu kernel package changes for an immediate post-maverick SRU of linux-linaro
working on memory usage statistics from the headless image
most Linaro kernel patches now pushed upstream and accepted!
device-tree testing from smoothwall, reported upstream; ux500 u-boot has been merged into the -next tree
updates to multistrap and pdebuild-cross packages in Ubuntu maverick. xdeb fix for correct Packages file processing is due this week.
Action Items from this Meeting
- hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa
Action Items from Previous Meeting
- lool to solicit toolchain WG input on bug #615765 (DONE)
- hrw,ppearse to discuss possible versioning problem blocking PPA uploads (DONE)
- dmart to test that linux-linaro-tools package in maverick DTRT (DONE)
slangasek to post DebConf 10 gobby notes publically (DONE)
- slangasek to nudge Keybuk to review bootchart changes rather than redirecting to upstream, since Ubuntu and upstream are quite out of sync
- PPA for cross build patched source set up
- Built more packages straight from Ubuntu with xdeb
- 53 of 82 packages in the original alip-ael can be built now
- None this week
Somewhere to put flavoured binaries & associated host toolchain binaries
- Continue work item "Use cross-compiler binaries with xdeb"
Fix blocking packages & dependency loops as per https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/linaro.org/ccc?key=0AnPR4S1Uev7KdDhHM2RxVGFFY2VQM01MVEJXbTZ3TkE&hl=en#gid=0
Upload modified native compiler source & rebuild cross-compilers
- Set up second PPA with armv6 vfp no thumb compiler source
- Upload cross build patched source
- Produce new scripts
- bug 648895 (x86 coreboot/seabios does not compile)
- bisected to binutils rev
- provided examples for upstream
- upstream assigned bug
- did test build of gcc-4.4/binutils with /opt/linaro/ prefix (not shared packages)
- provided amd64 and i386 armel cross compilers on p.c.c/~hrw/
- did reverse cross builds of gcc-4.4 (works) and gcc-4.5 (fails - working on fixes)
- bug 649810 - ftfbs cdebconf-terminal
- tested omap3-headless on beagleboard - awesome image, I like it
- reported few bugs against linaro-media-create
- Now know enough python to do useful work, and xdeb codebase largely grokked
- set up simple cross-builder using either xdeb of pdebuild-cross to test current status using alip sample package set (72 packages)
Found https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/625042 unreproducible. Filed https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apt/+bug/646499 instead
- Filed pdebuild-cross and multistrap updates that cross-build 38/72 packages.
Spreadsheet of current build-status now collecting info from me, ppearse and MarcinJ https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=t8G3dqTaEceP3MLTBWm6wNA#gid=0
xapt using armel package info now working. Fixes https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xdeb/+bug/616617
- Many xapt buids failed calculating deps. Turned out to be colin's --only-explicit addition not translating binary package names to source package names. Fixed.
- added some debug info to xdeb
Incorporated feedback on multistrap and pdebuild-cross patches from upstream and Steve. updates filed at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emdebian-crush/+bug/645147 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/multistrap/+bug/646901
- Balloon4 meeting: project decided to produce balloon4 using omap3 (unless omap4 is declared a catalogue part in next few weeks)
- Can't sensibly mail linaro-dev about shiny new cross-build stuff till it is actually uploaded (or I make a PPA)
- xapt --only-explicit still only builds 8 out of 72 packages. 26 it thinks are already done. 6 due to dbus chroot-install failure. About 40 don't actually cross-build.
- file cross-build bugs on failing packages
- Fix some of said packages (with ppearse)
- re-file xdeb patches incorporating lool comments
- further xdeb work on bugs
- Write to linaro-dev on cross-build state
- Write to linaro-dev on hardfloat/software float port long-term issues
- Update wiki with more cross-building info and current state of play
- Make a proper publically-accessible cross-autobuilder for Debian and
- Follow-up on the linux-arm-kernel list about performance implications related to runtime patching of code using a variable PHYS_OFFSET, based on feedback I received from Richard Earnshaw.
- More cogitations about DT and the current state of things.
- Initial look through the OMAP4430 documentation (huge!!!)
- Preparation of a Git pull request with a couple patches I've produced recently for RMK to pull.
- Implemented poll/fasync for the /dev/vcs* devices, in a first step to extend battery life on my laptop with braille output:
- (that was with my Canonical hat on)
- Usual misc (meeting attendance, mailing list monitoring, etc.)
- Setup weekly testing initiative to ensure our images get tested on a regular basis. Produced documentation at:
- Liaised with Ara and Paul, setup QA tracker ready for testing.
- Prodded some of the team to 'encourage' them to test more.
Adapted my Planning and Executing the Linaro Cycle presentation from the feedback received. Set out to various people including members at ARM.
- Some hacking on editmoin to investigate adding functionality to upload attachments.
- Lots of merging of proposed branches into seeds, configs, tools.
- Meeting with Kate the Ubuntu Release Manager, Anmar to discuss Linaro@UDS and sponsored attendees.
- Infrastructure stake holder meeting, pushing for some subtle project management related changes to Launchpad.
- Weekly Foundations, Linaro Release and Ubuntu Release meetings.
- Sponsored attendee's of Linaro@UDS related admin.
- Some work around Linaro@UDS logistics.
- Some Linaro sprint admin tasks.
- Vacation Friday.
- Finish editmoin hacking.
- Write-up of post-Maverick process.
- Investigate alternative project management tool for next cycle. Maybe we can inject Launchpad data into an external tool which will help?
Meeting opened by slangasek at 15:06
<slangasek> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/Foundations/2010-10-06
<slangasek> [TOPIC] Review action items from last meeting
Review action items from last meeting
<slangasek> * lool to solicit toolchain WG input on bug #615765 (DONE)
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 615765 in binutils (Ubuntu Maverick) (and 2 other projects) "Host strip corrupts cross-built armel archives (affects: 1) (heat: 74)" [Medium,New] https://launchpad.net/bugs/615765
<slangasek> * hrw,ppearse to discuss possible versioning problem blocking PPA uploads (DONE)
<slangasek> * dmart to test that linux-linaro-tools package in maverick DTRT
<slangasek> * slangasek to post DebConf 10 gobby notes publically (DONE)
<slangasek> JamieBennett's is a carry-over, Linaro@UDS taking precedence
<slangasek> * slangasek to nudge Keybuk to review bootchart changes rather than redirecting to upstream, since Ubuntu and upstream are quite out of sync
<slangasek> dmart: since we haven't gotten anywhere with the bootchart issue, does that fall off the list? Do you know if there's a plan to get Ubuntu bootchart packaged merged with current upstream next cycle?
<dmart> slangasek: I don't know of a plan right now
<slangasek> ok, carry over for now
<dmart> I still have an action to sync up with upstream, but don't know how/when that gets into Ubuntu
<slangasek> dmart: and did you have a chance to test linux-linaro-tools?
<dmart> I dropped that one, due to the distraction of going on holiday...
<dmart> ...but I'm trying it now.
<slangasek> ok, carry-over for now
<dmart> Hopefully, I'll have a result during the meeting.
<slangasek> [TOPIC] Blueprint status
<slangasek> $ echo $(shuf -e hrw npitre jcrigby dmart wookey slangasek ppearse JamieBennett aviksil)
<slangasek> hrw aviksil ppearse dmart wookey slangasek jcrigby npitre JamieBennett
<slangasek> hrw: go!
<hrw> tested omap3-headless on beagleboard - works nice and is first Ubuntu rootfs which I like
<hrw> Lucid users got armel cross compilers from Maverick - http://people.canonical.com/~hrw/ubuntu-lucid-armel-cross-compilers/
<hrw> helped a bit for Michael Hope with providing toolchain for Nokia
<slangasek> is their sysroot question sorted out now?
<hrw> sent armel-cross-toolchain-base updates to slangasek for review. will fix two bugs: bug #598389 and bug #646729
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 598389 in ncurses (Ubuntu) (and 5 other projects) "Cross build needs rpath with xdeb (affects: 1) (heat: 45)" [Undecided,Fix released] https://launchpad.net/bugs/598389
<ubot2> Launchpad bug 646729 in armel-cross-toolchain-base (Ubuntu) "Packages built with modified gcc fail to install (affects: 1) (heat: 487)" [Undecided,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/646729
<slangasek> hrw: hmm, to me? I haven't seen any mail at all about this
<hrw> slangasek: they have working toolchain now
<hrw> slangasek: just sent
<slangasek> ah, ok
<slangasek> working toolchain> excellet
<hrw> Nokia also wants to play with hard-float
<hrw> they asked about it today
<wookey> I was just talking to rusling about that
<wookey> and dmart
<slangasek> hard-float is much talked about
<hrw> thats all from me I think
<slangasek> hrw: thanks
<slangasek> aviksil: how are you getting on with lttng investigations?
<aviksil> i'm yet to install it on my Lucid
<slangasek> aviksil: ok. any blocking issues that we should call attention to?
<aviksil> so far i've downloaded maverick using schroot & debootstrap
<aviksil> but yet to install userspace tracer
<slangasek> ok, moving forward then, great
<aviksil> slangasek: shall i wait till Sunday for Maverick?
<aviksil> for running on VM?
<slangasek> aviksil: the differences between now and Sunday will be minimal since Ubuntu is now in a deep freeze... I don't think you should wait
<hrw> aviksil: Maverick nearly does not change now
hrw added first post-maverick ppa yesterday to get some updates
<slangasek> aviksil: thanks for the report
<ppearse> Still pushing up patched sources.....
<ppearse> Did gstreamer today
<ppearse> Will be putting up armel flavoured gcc sources this week
<slangasek> available in a ppa now for everyone to play with \o/
<ppearse> That's all really - keeps me busy....
<hrw> ppearse: arm5/6 toolchains?
<ppearse> hrw: Not sure whether the flavoured source will get built into flavoured binaries I'll check when they're built
<hrw> I have an arm hardware for which fsf gcc does not give proper code anyway
<ppearse> hrw: May be folks have to : Install the flavoured gcc source from my PPA, run your cross toolchain packages on thsat
<hrw> ppearse: mail me informations about which changes you need and I can integrate it into mine packages
<slangasek> ppearse: unless I'm mistaken, your ppa is virtualized and doesn't produce arm binaries at all, v7 or otherwise?
<slangasek> or is that not what you're referring to
<ppearse> no I'm referring to amd64 throughout. The flavoured gcc gets installed on the host and use to build host cross compilers that default to that flavour.
<slangasek> ah; and this hasn't been fully tested yet in ppa form?
<ppearse> hrw: No changes required in your packages - just in the host gcc source
<hrw> ppearse: which can be done by patching
<ppearse> slangasek: No - I'm hoping uplaoding hrw's cross chain build packages together with the flavoured gcc might give flavoured cross chain binaries....
<slangasek> hrw, ppearse: action item to discuss this out-of-band?
<hrw> ppearse: apt-get source armel-cross-toolchain-base; cd armel-cross*;echo "armv5te" >debian/flavour;debuild -b
<hrw> slangasek: yep
<slangasek> [ACTION] hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa
hrw, ppearse to follow up on what's needed to build flavored cross-compilers for ppa
<dmart> Not much to report, due to being on holiday for most of the time
<slangasek> holiday photos accepted in lieu of blueprint status
<dmart> unfortunately, I didn't collect evidence...
<dmart> Currently, I'm working on pulling some memory usage stats out of the headless files
<dmart> jcrigby: linux-linaro-tools seems to do something sensible
<dmart> jcrigby: ... is it intentional not to build with libnewt? You get a nice UI for browsing the results that way
<jcrigby> dmart, dunno
<dmart> jcrigby: also, could we have a linux-linaro-tools metapackage (as for linux-tools)? This makes is easier to install the right package
<jcrigby> I suppose, someone smarter than me please answer
<dmart> Anyway, looks like I can profile things like cache and TLB misses on omap3, so the perf backend stuff seems to be working well.
<slangasek> dmart: file a bug against linux-linaro-meta for this?
<dmart> slangasek: ok
<dmart> It's nice-to-have, but not critical.
<jcrigby> dmart, does such a meta exist on ubuntu side?
<slangasek> it does
<jcrigby> slangasek, ok
<dmart> It's analogous to the linux-image-<platform> metapackages IIUD
<slangasek> ok to move on?
<dmart> yup, I think that's all from me for now
<wookey> multistrap and pdebuild-cross both had feedback and changes and new patches.
<wookey> Steve fixed apt v0.8 auth problem (wot a nice man).
<wookey> Changes merged back into emdebian svn, should soon go into Debian experimental (waiting on me testing).
<wookey> So new versions now in Ubuntu (Actual working cross-builds modulo packaging/strip issues, I hope :-).
<wookey> Need to do an ALIP rebuild to check stuff works adquately in practice.
<wookey> Only outstanding issue is re-install option to deal with diverts, which may or may not actually make much difference in practice.
<wookey> xdeb changes need to be redone as merge requests - any second now (been tied up in admin and ARM stuff last 2 days)
<wookey> Steve, is that too late for maverick now (I saw comment about deep freeze above)?
<wookey> or can we slip it in?
<wookey> if I get my finger out this evg
<slangasek> wookey: maybe; we might want to just toss it straight to the stable updates queue
<slangasek> rather than imposing on the good graces of the Ubuntu release team
<wookey> wookey on holiday 10th-17th
<wookey> I think that's it
<slangasek> as soon as you have those xdeb changes ready for merge, please let me know
<wookey> will do
<slangasek> I twisted lool's arm into giving me commit access to the xdeb branch now, so I can meaningfully help with reviews instead of passing the buck to him
<wookey> OK, that'll help
<wookey> he has enough hats already
<wookey> (not that I've been waiting on him
<slangasek> multiarch - the Ubuntu foundations team has helpfully retargeted this spec to natty for us, taking it completely off the radar for 10.11
<slangasek> making baby steps on that, here and there... like getting debconf notes posted :P
<hrw> slangasek: will there be any multiarch sessions at uds?
<wookey> of course
<slangasek> hrw: yes
<wookey> we love talking about multiarch
<slangasek> maybe Ubuntu foundations is running one... if not, we should have one... either way, it'll be on the agenda
<slangasek> any questions?
<jcrigby> Rob Herring is booting device tree enabled kernel with my u-boot patches at his new job
<jcrigby> He has sent a Tested-by: to u-boot mailing list
<wookey> what's his new job?
<jcrigby> some secret arm thing
<jcrigby> did a merge of ux500 u-boot with our other platforms and put it in our -next
<jcrigby> fgu is testing
<slangasek> so does smoothwall count as a "real world" system yet?
<jcrigby> it is on simulator right now
<jcrigby> pushing new ux500 kernel to ppa today
<jcrigby> watching ubuntu kernel patches
<jcrigby> will do new kernel once they do day zero kernel
<jcrigby> or whatever that is called
<slangasek> jcrigby: ok, so you're in the loop on what they have going into that kernel?
<jcrigby> yes, they are using their normal git tree
<slangasek> they call it a "0-day kernel"... I disagree strenuously with this nomenclature
<jcrigby> no rebase so far so picking up changes will be real easy
<slangasek> are they planning to wait until Monday to upload this, do you know?
<jcrigby> thats about it
<jcrigby> I will ask
<slangasek> the SRU queue should be open before then
<slangasek> i.e., post-release updates don't /have/ to wait until the day of release to be uploaded
<slangasek> ok, thanks
<npitre> been pushing kernel patches to RMK
<npitre> he merged most of them so far
<npitre> had to "justify" another one, no reaction yet
<npitre> the issue of DT support was discussed in the kernel WG meeting
<npitre> gcl and I agreed that DT wouldn't be production ready for the 11.05 release
<npitre> there is simply too much work to do, and gcl doesn't want to take shortcuts which would undermine acceptance in mainline
<slangasek> not production ready - will it be far enough along that we'll want to offer some images at 11.05 that use it?
<slangasek> preview images of some sort
<npitre> problem is that DT support is still pretty much in flux
<npitre> we still didn't settle on the proper way to identify machines with compatibility fallbacks
<npitre> and the IRQ mapping is getting hairy too
<slangasek> ok - so we probably shouldn't be getting our hopes up for 11.05, even for test images
<slangasek> that's alright
<npitre> I don't think it would be useful to provide people with linaro "sanctioned" images if the infrastructure is to change by the time this stuff hits mainline
<slangasek> npitre: anything else going on?
<npitre> I should take care of some patches from others
<npitre> jk is on vacation and he asked me to push some sets of his
<slangasek> definitely happy for you to help with that
<npitre> there are also some work from Eric Miao that should be pushed (no idea why Eric is silent about it)
<npitre> I should also start looking at some items for the next cycle
<npitre> some of them are fairly trivial and might even be dealt with before UDS
<slangasek> npitre: have you been asked to help with any blueprint drafting on the kernel WG side?
<npitre> not yet
<npitre> I'm willing to help
<slangasek> foundations engineering blueprints will start to be divvied up this week... today, if I get to it
<npitre> that's it
<JamieBennett> For me, brace yourselves:
<JamieBennett> * Weekly testing initiative, going well, another round tomorrow
<JamieBennett> * Documentation around image installation:
<JamieBennett> * e.g. http://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/DailyBuilds
<JamieBennett> * Planning Linaro@UDS, sponsorships, attendee logistics e.t.c. Also some work on the conveying information on the Sprint in Jan.
<JamieBennett> * Lots of planning for next cycles project management and tracking needs
<JamieBennett> * Sorting out alignment with ARM for their needs for next cycle
<JamieBennett> * editmoin and bug-track hacking
<JamieBennett> * live-helper config branch merging
<JamieBennett> * Trimming hw specific bits out of all our images, now you *need* hwpacks
<JamieBennett> * Bug triaging
<JamieBennett> * lots of misc other things
<slangasek> need hwpacks - and don't get duplicate kernels on your base image
<slangasek> JamieBennett: does editmoin do attachments now?
<JamieBennett> slangasek: just fighting with it as we speak, putting the final touches on it
<slangasek> [TOPIC] AOB
<slangasek> anything else that's new and groovy in the world of Linaro?
hrw started learning English (again)
<wookey> when does the blueprint drafting/arguing about new subjects happen?
<wookey> next 2 weeks I guess?
<slangasek> wookey: by next week at the latest
<wookey> start or end? (as I am away neext week)
<slangasek> i.e., by next week at the latest I'll have the engineering blueprints in the system for you guys to start drafting work on
<wookey> OK, and the idea is that that process goes on through UDS to finish up afterwards?
<wookey> but who chooses the list/titles? that is done already?
<slangasek> wookey: mostly driven by the TSC technical requirements for the cycle; but if you have topics you want to talk about that aren't on their list, please send them to me
<slangasek> (did my email about this manage to make it out?)
<wookey> well, I don';t know wht the list is you see
<wookey> or maybe I missed something
<slangasek> wookey: should be covered in the email that I sent out yesterday, unless it didn't make it to you
<slangasek> anyway, the TSC list is https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics
<wookey> ah 'linaro @ UDS session'?
<slangasek> [LINK] https://wiki.linaro.org/Releases/1105/TechnicalTopics
<slangasek> wookey: yep
<wookey> sorry didn't connect that with 'blueprint planning'
<wookey> not managing to read all of the flood of linaro mail at the moment
<wookey> wil look
<slangasek> ok, thanks
Meeting closed at 16:13
Platform/DevPlatform/Meetings/2010-10-06 (last modified 2011-03-11 11:33:10)