This month's meetings

WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings
<< <  2011 / 4 >  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  


Meeting info

  • Kernel WG meetings are conducted over IRC: #linaro-kernel on Freenode.

Morning Attendees

  • Arnd Bergmann: x
  • Dave Martin: x
  • Deepak Saxena: x
  • Jason Hui:
  • Mounir Bsaibes: x
  • Niklas Hernaeus: x
  • Nishant Kamat:
  • Paul McKenney:

  • Per Forlin: x
  • Grant Likely:
  • Andy Green:
  • Tixy:
  • Venkatraman Sathiyamoorthy: x

Evening Attendees

  • Deppak Saxena: x
  • John Stultz:
  • Jason Hui:
  • Grant Likely:
  • Thomas Abraham
  • Sanjeev Premi:
  • Manjunath Kondaiah
  • Mounir Bsaibes: x
  • Shawn Guo:
  • Jeremy Kerr: x

Agenda

  1. Logistics
    • Travel coordination for summit in Cambridge
    • Weekly activity reports
    • Meeting times: Remaining Monday morning/evening for now
  2. Announcement / Upcoming Release Dates
  3. Pending Action Items
  4. BUGS review
  5. Blueprints / Around the table

Action Items from Previous Meeting

To see the completed action items: WorkingGroups/Kernel/ActionItemsDone

Minutes From Today's Meetings

Logistics

  • Linaro Development Spring is coming up in early August (https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/2011-08-LDS), individual to coordinate with their managers for attendance

  • Activity Reports need to be submitted on a weekly basis. If we don't see one from you for a few weeks in a row, we have to escalate to Linaro management and to your vendor's TSC representative.
  • Meeting time will return to regular schedule next week
  • Look at setting up bip for yourself so that even if you are not logged into IRC, you can get a log + folks can ping you and leave msgs: https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/BIP for information on doing this

annoucements

  • Linaro will be doing monthly releases during the 11.11 cycle, starting with 11.06. The plan is to release on the last thursday of each month, so we'll have to figure out when to freeze our kernels, Deepak proposal for 1 week freeze, will to check with npitre to close on this item.

Pending Action Review

  • Most of the ones on the table are closed, the only three left are for Deepak and mounir to close out this week

Bugs

  • Deepak to review unassigned bugs and assign to proper KWG engineer or to LT leads

Blueprints/around the table

  • Starting with 11.11 BPs, we still need a couple of BPs filled in with work items.
  • We will also want to assign WIs to individual monthly milestones.

Venkat

  • Reviewing some design reviews for the dmaengine porting for omap
  • starting to work on HPI implementation for mmc

Per

  • Worked on a sdio single irq bug last week and did some investigation on parallel request for sdio. Same as I have introduced for mmc.
  • Trying to back up putting the parallel request handling in core.c.

Thomas

  • Submitted the third version of the clkdev patches that were required for device tree for Samsung platforms. Now I am working on power measurement on smdkv310 board with memory regions patches.

arnd

  • fixing 'make randconfig' for our main targets in order to build a test system for the merged subarch kernels

Niklas

  • looking at code for device-tree to understand what need to be done...

misc

  • Per may not be able to go to the Sprint in Ausgut, but will be able to attend remotely.

Action Items From Today's Meetings

  • Most of the ones on the table are closed, the only three left are for Deepak and mounir to close out this week
  • Deepak to review unassigned bugs and assign to proper KWG engineer or to LT leads
  • Deepak to close with Nico on freeze period for Monthly releases
  • Mounir Deepak will be emailing folks individually to follow up on blueprints
  • Deepak to send out an email on how to assign the WIs to milestones.
  • Deepak to coordinate meeting between himself, gcl and folks who will do DT work
  • Deepak to have a sync up meeting to discuss storage work for 11.11 cycle

IRC Logs

Morning meeting IRC log

* Now talking on #linaro-kernel
* Topic for #linaro-kernel is: https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/KernelConsolidation/Meetings/2011-02-14
* Topic for #linaro-kernel set by arnd!~arnd@nat/ibm/x-nxtgkidsewydzpgc at Mon Feb 14 10:04:35 2011
<dsaxena> who's around for the KWG meeting?
<perfor> Hi there
 Usage: ME <action>, sends the action to the current channel (actions are written in the 3rd person, like /me jumps)
<dsaxena> Good evening perfor
<robher> hi
<nhe> hi
<thomas-ab> Hi
* mounir waves
<dsaxena> hi all
<dsaxena> Meeting agenda @ https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings/2011-06-08
<dsaxena> Let's start with a 1. Logistics, very quickly:
<dsaxena> - Linaro Development Spring is coming up in early August (https://wiki.linaro.org/Events/2011-08-LDS)
<dsaxena> Please start coordinating with your managers at your vendor on your attendance and let me know if there are any issues
<dsaxena> We would like everyone to be there
<dsaxena> 2nd logistics related topic: please make sure to send Activity Reports if you're not doing so already. If we don't see one from you for a few weeks in a row, we have to escalate to Linaro management and to your vendor's TSC representative
<dsaxena> Thanks to everyone who's been getting them in regularly.
<dsaxena> 3rd logistics topic: Meeting time will return to regular schedule next week
* svenkatr (~svenkatr@nat/ti/x-grjmclftsbxqjjwy) has joined #linaro-kernel
<dsaxena> Adding a 4th one right now: Please look at setting up bip for yourself so that even if you are not logged into IRC, you can get a log + folks can ping you and leave msgs
<dsaxena> See https://wiki.linaro.org/Resources/HowTo/BIP for information on doing this
<dsaxena> Moving on to annoucements, Linaro will be doing monthly releases during the 11.11 cycle, starting with 11.06.
<dsaxena> The plan is to release on the last thursday of each month, so we'll have to figure out when to freeze our kernels
<dsaxena> My proposal is one week before release to give enough time for testing and for other teams to pull and add their bits on top
<dsaxena> I'll follow up with npitre to see if that makes sense, any comments here on the 1 week freeze?
<dsaxena> Next on Agenda is Pending Action Review. Most of the ones on the table are closed, the only three  left are for myself and mounir to close out this week
<dsaxena> Next is Bug Review, I don't see any major new bugs opened in the last two weeks that we need to go through today
<dsaxena> mounir: do you know of any bugs that need critical attention?
<mounir> dsaxena, not this week, I have not really focus on bugs given the Public review and the mm mini-summit
<dsaxena> OK. My quicks skim didn't show anything critical for now. I'll go through the list of unassigned bugs and make sure they get assigned to folks in either KWG or landing teams
<dsaxena> [ACTION] Deepak to review unassigned bugs and assign to proper KWG engineer or to LT leads
<dsaxena> On to 5 on the Agenda, Blueprints/around the table
<dsaxena> Starting with 11.11 BPs, we still need a couple of BPs filled in with work items. Mounir and I will be emailing folks individually to follow up.
<dsaxena> We will also want to assign WIs to individual monthly milestones. This is our first time doing this, so these don't have to locked in stone and we can move them around as we move forward
<dsaxena> I'll send out an email on how to assign the WIs to milestones. If you're unsure about breaking your tasks down, please coordinate with myself and mounir
* dmart (~dmart@fw-lnat.cambridge.arm.com) has joined #linaro-kernel
<dmart> hi all, sorry I'm late.
<dsaxena> OK, that's it from my end. perfor, nhe, thomas-ab, svenkatr : want to do a quick go-around of what you've been working on?
<perfor> sure
<svenkatr> dsaxena, I've been reviewing some design reviews for the dmaengine porting for omap
<perfor> I worked on a sdio single irq bug last week and did some investigation on parallel request for sdio. Same as I have introduced for mmc.
<dsaxena> perfor: nice. Is that look like something that is doable fairly simply?
<thomas-ab> I submitted the third version of the clkdev patches that were required for device tree for Samsung platforms. Now I am working on power measurement on smdkv310 board with memory regions patches.
<svenkatr> I am starting to work on HPI implementation for mmc
<perfor> I am trying to back up putting the parallel request handling in core.c.
<arnd_> I'm fixing 'make randconfig' for our main targets in order to build a test system for the merged subarch kernels
<nhe> dsaxena: Except for the usual administration stuff: looking at code for device-tree to understand what need to be done...
<dsaxena> svenkatr: is that the same code that we discussed in the email from TSC?
<perfor> dsaxena: I need to conclude if the parallel request handling makes sense for SDIO too. I will make some kind of test but it will be up to each SDIO driver to use the new API.
<svenkatr> No. That was for background operations
<dsaxena> perfor: that makes sense. I think we can sync up with LTs to see if they can do any platform specific changes needed to use the APIs
<svenkatr> dsaxena: cross that, let me look up
<dsaxena> thomas-ab: looking forward to the memory region measurements
<dsaxena> nhe: how's the understanding the device-tree code going? feel free to ping gcl as needed
<perfor> dsaxena: What is LTs? :)
<dsaxena> nhe: /me has an [ACTION] to coordinate meeting between gcl and folks who will do DT work
<dsaxena> perfor: Landing Team
<perfor> dsaxena: thanks
<thomas-ab> <dsaxena> Ok. I will email the measurements tomorrow or by Monday.
<dsaxena> arnd_: I met with plars, who runs the validation team, and we will hopefully soon be able to have the test system do randconfig and other random builds on a continous basis
<perfor> dsaxena: I am looking at SDIO clients for WLAN on pandaboard and u8500 as references.
<dsaxena> arnd_: I need to close out with him on what needs to be done and what trees we want tested on a regular basis
<svenkatr> dsaxena: I was talking about https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linux-linaro/+spec/utilize-emmc-hpi-to-minimze-flash-latency
<nhe> dsaxena: I discovered yesterday that there is a mailing-list for device-tree stuff... subscribed...
<dsaxena> thomas-ab: please email to linaro-dev and any relevant community lists  as we want to keep PM folks in the loop
<thomas-ab> dsaxena: Ok. I will copy linaro-dev.
<dsaxena> arnd_, perfor: we still need to close out on some of the K7.* work (flash mapping)
<dsaxena> arnd_, perfor will send email to sync up
<nhe> dsaxena: ...also need to setup a u8500 to test the kexec...
<perfor> svenkatr, mounir: I have made BP emmc-hpi dependent on BP bkops. This it not true. I tought bkops could be done first because it would add trivial support for HPI too. I just wanted to point this out.
<arnd_> dsaxena: ok, great. I've basically fixed randconfig for 3.0 on omap2 and u8500, now looking at exynos4
<dsaxena> arnd_: on another note, I wasn't sure you were 100% serious about wanting to be drivers/misc maintainter :)
<arnd_> dsaxena: I've made several attempts to write the stuff for K7.* but always got frustrated at not finding out where to write what or not having the permissions to edit the pages
<arnd_> dsaxena: I was
<dsaxena> arnd_: OK, I'll submit that to Linus :)
<mounir> perfor: do you want me to change the dependencies  for BP emmc-hpi or you will handle?
<perfor> svenkatr, mounir: Yes, I propose to remove the dependency between BP emmc-hpi and BP bkops. Thanks.
<perfor> mounir: I can do it.
<mounir> perfor: ok 
<dsaxena> arnd_: ah, that's annoying ,I understand .So the way the process is supposed to work is that you and others create new engineering blue prints (as many as needed as make sense) with proper dependencies on each other, and then we make the TR blueprint dependend on those eningeering blueprints
<perfor> mounir: I don't think I need to touch the BP TR. I only have access to the engineer ones.
<dsaxena> arnd_: you should be able to create new blue prints w/o problems
<dsaxena> arnd_:  you can just send me a list of WIs and BPs you think need to be created and I can do the BP creation work if you want
<mounir> perfor: you don't have to touch the TR is what you want to change are on the Engineering BP's
<arnd_> dsaxena: right, I always confuse which ones I'm supposed to edit,  or what the difference between all the pages is
<perfor> mounir: I first thought I needed to touch the TR. I have updated the dependency just now.
<arnd_> dsaxena: maybe you or perfor can find some time to go through it with me. I'm rather confused on multiple aspects there
<dsaxena> arnd_: that works for me. Maybe all three of us so we can make sure we're all on same page regarding the work that needs to be done?
<dsaxena> arnd_: or do you mean just going through the process part of it?
<perfor> arnd_: I can teach you all mistake I have done working with BPs. I think I have covered most of them :)
<perfor> arnd_: Basically there are 3 types, TR (techincal requirement), engineering, and LDS sessions
<dsaxena> svenkatr: I have you listed as working on K7.1, the Flash Storage Remapping. We should do a sync up of svenkatr, perfor, arnd_, and tixy separate of this meeting to dig through the storage stuff
<svenkatr> ok
<dsaxena> [ACTION] Have a sync up meeting to discuss storage work for 11.11 cycle
<arnd_> dsaxena, perfor: my preference would be to talk on the phone with both of you
<arnd_> I can call you both from the office tomorrow
<dsaxena> arnd_: That works for me, want to pick a time now?
<arnd_> I'm available all day, I'll find you on IRC
<arnd_> or you can suggest a time that works for you
<perfor> arnd_: Please do. Best time to call me is before 14:00 CET
<mounir> dsaxena, release management is looking at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-linaro-mx51/+bug/754254 which is woned by Shawnguo
<arnd_> perfor: that won't work with dsaxena, but the two of us can also get together first and maybe we've solved it by the time that dsaxena gets up
<perfor> arnd_: Good plan.
<dsaxena> arnd_: that works, I'll ping you on IRC when I crawl out of bed
<perfor> dsaxena: About the sprint. I may not be able to go. We can discuss it further off line.
<dsaxena> perfor: ok, let's plan on that
* dsaxena will bed sending out 1:1 meeting invites
<dsaxena> s/bed/be/
<perfor> dsaxena: I will still be in office during the sprint but not attending physically.
<dsaxena> mounir: it looks like shawnguo is starting to look into it, looks like progress on it was made yesterday in isolating it a bit
<mounir> saxena: relative to the monthly releases, when do you think you can close on when the KWG should deliver its tree?
<mounir> dsaxena:  relative to the monthly releases, when do you think you can close on when the KWG should deliver its tree?
<dsaxena> mounir: I will email npitre today to kick off the conversation. I don't expect it to take to long to figure it out
<mounir> dsaxena: ok please cc me on the conversation
<dsaxena> mounir: will do
<dsaxena> [ACTION] Deepak to coordinate with npitre on when we will be delivering  a kernel to jcrigby and others for 11.x monthly releases
<dsaxena> [ACTION] Deepak to coordinate a meeting for everyone working on storage to sync up on tasks
<dsaxena> OK, we're reaching end of the hour
<dsaxena> Any pressing issues?
<dsaxena> I'll take that as a no :)
<perfor> arnd_: I ping you on IRC tomorrow when I'm in office.
<dsaxena> Thanks all for your time

Evening meeting IRC log

<dsaxena> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings/2011-06-08
* mounir says hi
<dsaxena> hi mounir!
* dsaxena wondering if others joining
<dsaxena> I did resend the calendar event
<dsaxena> :/
<jk-> hi!
<dsaxena> hi jk-!
<dsaxena> how goes it? how goes the clk framework stuff? (/me has not paid attention to the linux-arm-kernel lately)
<jk-> dsaxena: pretty good. I haven't have much time at all to do clk work; was looking to hand it over to someone at Linaro
<dsaxena> jk-: that's good to know, I think we may have someone coming on board the KWG who can take it on
<jk-> dsaxena: ok, exellent. Let me know if you need me to do any hand-over stuff
<dsaxena> jk-: will definitely need that. The person I'm thinking of is Linus Walleij. Let me sync up on this end and make sure he's going to be in KWG and then I'll send an email to both of you to get any hand-over coordination started.
<jk-> dsaxena: all of the discussion has been on-list, so there's a lot he can get started with; I assume there will be occasional questions though, so happy to help out where needed
<mounir> dsaxena, , I looked at the bp's quite a few still have no WI's and therefore they don't show on the burdowns. I can make a list and start asking the owners where the Wi's are. I bet, some of them have WI's but not on the whiteboard
<dsaxena> jk-: sounds good
<dsaxena> mounir: I started looking at those too and that sounds like a good plan.
<dsaxena> mounir: though I can handle the 7.x ones as there's still some technical discussion that needs to get sorted out in emails I think
<mounir> dsaxena, : will look at the others
<dsaxena> mounir: I'll cc: you on those, please keep me cc:d in emails you send out
<mounir> ok
<dsaxena> doesn't seem like anyone else is joining in on this meeting. mounir, is there anything else we need to sort out tonight?
* dsaxena will send out a reminder about morning meeting to make sure people attend
<mounir> not really - not from my side

WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Meetings/2011-06-08 (last modified 2013-01-14 19:42:23)