This month's meetings

WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings
<< <  2011 / 4 >  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Meeting info

  • Kernel WG meetings are conducted over IRC: #linaro-kernel on Freenode.

Attendance

  • Arnd Bergmann:
  • Dave Martin: x
  • Deepak Saxena: x
  • Jason Hui:
  • Linus Walleij: x
  • Mounir Bsaibes: x
  • Nicolas Pitre: x
  • Niklas Hernaeus:
  • Per Forlin:
  • Grant Likely: x
  • John Stultz: x
  • Thomas Abraham: x
  • Manjunath Kondaiah:
  • Shawn Guo:
  • Venkatraman Sathiyamoorthy: x

Agenda

  1. Announcement / Upcoming Release Dates
  2. 2011.09 release Highights
  3. monthly blueprints/milestones example - Mounir
  4. Pending Action items
  5. Around the table: Work Items updates, what's next
  6. BUGS review

Action Items from Previous Meeting

Minutes

  • Today's meeting focus is going over what everyone is going to be working on for 11.10
  • Deepak
    • Create a solid set of BPs for discussion at Orlando's Linaro Connect and to work on
    • Completely overhauling the KWG wiki pages with updated information on DT, process details, and various other bits of information
    • Processs information will include or monthly release, using the kernel CI-loop, and how we can be more involved with the -stable tree
    • Work with the validation infrastructure team to continue build out of our kernel CI testing system
  • gcl
    • Getting outstanding gpio/spi/dt patches into linux-next before Linus opens the merge window in mid/late October
    • Prepping for the subarch maintainership meeting (btw, I'm still collecting discussion topics)
    • Plan a boot-architecture summit during ELC-E/LinuxCon
  • npitre
    • continue working on single zImage issues
    • review upstream patches
    • random issues that always tend to come unannounced
  • thomas-ab,
    • For 11.10, I will be working on adding further dt coverage for exynos4.
    • The plan is add dt support for uart, sdhci, i2s (with dt support for audio codec and demonstrate audio playback), display driver, regulator, usb host and gadget, spi, pwm timer, touch screen and adc. With this, most of the board level details can be obtained from dt.
    • single dt-enabled machine file for origen and smdkv310 board.
    • use linusw's pin-ctrl patches
    • move clock code to common clock architecture for exynos4.
    • will prepare a list of work items from the above list and add to Samsung DT blueprint (Implement DT support for Samsung platforms
  • rnayak1
    • For now its regulators and the omap-mmc dt convertion
    • next I plan to look at is pinmux to move all pinmux data to dt..
  • dmart
    • The main thing on the table is vexpress. Although initial patches are now posted, I need to integrate feedback, push updates to affected drivers and rebase onto other upstream work (GIC bindings etc.)
    • Later on in the cycle I think we'll want to pick up A15 again -- ideally we'd get some models running in Linaro that we can do validation/testing on. Initially, we'd probably be using the ARM fast models. These are faster and _much_ cheaper than the FPGA platform. As and when qemu has mature A15/LPAE support, we could start using that. But I think it's still rather too early for that
  • jstultz_vm
    • for 11.10, probably focusing on the wakelock/suspend-blocker idea i'm prototyping now.
    • upstreaming the config fragment work for oct.
    • normal 11.10 android+linaro kernel maintainance work.
    • need to create new bp and push lowmem work into backlog
  • linusw
    • pinctrl and pinmux, I will be submitting the pinctrl core and pinmux for inclusion in linux-next soon-ish
    • follow-up on gpio.h cleanup too, pxa cleanup remains to be merged to Russells branch, all others have been applied by him
    • Lee from the ST-Ericsson LT wants me to do some ux500 subarch maintainance, we'll see about that, if time permits
      • bunch of ux500 updates are available due to ST-Ericsson migration to kernel 3.0 so we have some upstreaming opportunities, right now I'm thinking about adding some basic pin control (biasing, driving, loadcapaciting, schmitt'triggerin) to the patchset
    • Mounir showed an example how to split a bleuprint to monthly blueprints and target them to either backlog or monthly milestone

Actions

  • dsaxena get a BP setup for your regulators work
  • Mounir look into weekly reports from bp's ( or status.linaro.org).
  • dsaxena I will create a session BP for it for A15 support
  • dsaxena will work on pinmux BPs for the other (than ST-Ericson) SOCs so that we can have Shawn, thomas-ab, rnayak1 , and others implement needed changes for their platforms
  • dsaxena/mounirb will complete the monthly highlights on Wednesday.

IRC Log

<dsaxena> good day/evening
* rnayak (~a0131687@122.179.83.26) has joined #linaro-kernel
<npitre> hello there
<thomas-ab> Hi All
<rnayak> hi everyone
<mounir> Hi 
<dmart> hi
<dsaxena> so today's meeting focus is going over what everyone is going to be working on for 11.10
<dsaxena> greetings npitre, gcl , thomas-ab, rnayak , dmart
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, you around?
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  yep.
<dsaxena> my main  goals  this month are to create a solid set of BPs for discussion at Orlando's Linaro Connect and to work on completely overhauling the KWG wiki pages with updated information on DT, process details, and various other bits of information
<dsaxena> processs information will include or monthly release, using the kernel CI-loop, and how we can be more involved with the -stable tree
<dsaxena> I'll also be working with the validation infrastructure team to continue build out of our kernel CI testing system
<dsaxena> The ci loop is working well already and it's been used to find and fixed  build issue in Arnd's arm-soc tree
<npitre> that's great
<dsaxena> yep, we're now closing out on the details for the UI, both the input process and more importantly the result views
<dsaxena> ok, I don't want to take up the whole meeting. let's continue down the team with everyone summarizing what they plan on focusing on.
<dsaxena> ideally, you have a BP/WI that is connect to this work that you can point us to, but if not, I'll work on getting it into that format
<dsaxena> gcl,you first
<dsaxena> gcl, ping
<dsaxena> ok, npitre ?
<gcl> hi, sorry
<gcl> distracted by breakfast
<npitre> I should continue working on single zImage issues, review upstream patches, and other random issues that always tend to come unannounced
* CosmicPenguin (~nobody@soa.codeaurora.org) has joined #linaro-kernel
<gcl> dsaxena: are you asking about what I'm focusing now, or focus for Connect?
<dsaxena> npitre, great. I'm looking forward to discussing the zImage stuff in more details @ Connect
<dsaxena> gcl, what're you focusing in October
<gcl> getting outstanding gpio/spi/dt patches into linux-next before Linus opens the merge window in mid/late October
<gcl> prepping for the subarch maintainership meeting (btw, I'm still collecting discussion topics)
<gcl> and I need to also plan a boot-architecture summit during ELC-E/LinuxCon
<dsaxena> gcl, thanks. seems like a lot! let me know if you need any more engineering support for the DT patches
<gcl> okay, will do
<gcl> btw, linusw are you around?
<gcl> linusw: are you going to be able to make it to Prague?
<dsaxena> linusw  has a sick daughter at home, wasn't sure he'd make it today
<gcl> Ugh, sick offspring is not fun
<dsaxena> thomas-ab, you're next. how's DT going on Exynos and what's your focus for next few weeks?
<thomas-ab> DT for exynos4 is coming up fine.
<thomas-ab> For 11.10, I will be working on adding further dt coverage for exynos4.
<thomas-ab> The plan is add dt support for uart, sdhci, i2s (with dt support for audio codec and demonstrate audio playback), display driver, regulator, usb host and gadget, spi, pwm timer, touch screen and adc.
<thomas-ab> With this, most of the board level details can be obtained from dt.
<thomas-ab> And also single dt-enabled machine file for origen and smdkv310 board.
<thomas-ab> The other two main work items that I would want to work on are using linusw's pin-ctrl patches and also moving clock code to common clock architecture for exynos4.
<gcl> btw, anyone with a series of patches that I need to merge can help me out by also publishing a git tree and sending me a pull request.
<thomas-ab> I will prepare a list of work items from the above list and add to Samsung DT blueprint (Implement DT support for Samsung platforms)
<dsaxena> thomas-ab, great
* rnayak1 (~a0131687@122.179.100.209) has joined #linaro-kernel
<dsaxena> thomas-ab, you may want to sync up with Mike Turquette and Amit K. on the struct clk
<dsaxena> they're running with that
<thomas-ab> dsaxena: ok. I will do that.
* rnayak has quit (Read error: Connection reset by peer)
<dsaxena> rnayak1, ping
<rnayak1> dsaxena: sorry got dropped off for a while
<rnayak1> dsaxena: you want me to go next
<dsaxena> rnayak1, yeah, I'm going by order people joined meeting when we started :)
<rnayak1> ok, for now its regulators and the omap-mmc dt convertion.. next I plan to look at is pinmux to move all pinmux data to dt..
<linusw> now I'm in too
<rnayak1> is anyone working on moving clk data to dt?
<dsaxena> rnayak1, great. Have you had a chance to sync up with other SOC folks to discuss the regulators framework?
<linusw> gcl: I'm not going to make it to Prague :-(
<rnayak1> no, I am waiting for Benoit to do a respin of his i2c-twl series before I do mine..
<dsaxena> rnayak1, ok.
<gcl> linusw: too bad.  I was hoping you'd be able to make at least the arm workshop day.  pinmux is one of the topics we'll definitely be talking about
<dsaxena> rnayak1, I still have on my TODO to get a BP setup for your regulators work
<rnayak1> ok
<thomas-ab> rnayak1: For exynos4, dt support for clock has not yet been done. Adding support to those drivers which need board level support were the first choice to add dt support.
<linusw> gcl: I plan to submit that thing for inclusion into linux-next soon-ish FWIW
<rnayak1> thomas-ab: ok, thanks, same with omap
<dsaxena> linusw gcl , has anyone started looking at DT bindings for the pinmux? Would be good for you two and rnayak1  to sync up and talk about this before the ARM summit
<linusw> dsaxena: Stephen Warren has been cooking some bindings, but they need some overhaul
<dsaxena> ok, so the four of you maybe should sync up, or just hash it out on l-a-k
<linusw> device-tree-discuss seems to be where the action is
<robher> I can work on the DT clock support, but gcl said he wants to rework the binding. So I need some guidance from gcl on how he wants to change it.
<gcl> yes, please cc: devicetree-discuss
<linusw> gcl: I might be able to say call in or attend via IRC in Prague if need be
<gcl> linusw: okay.  I do plan to get a irc back channel set up, but I'd need someone to take responsibility for setting up an audio bridge
<dsaxena> gcl, is someone already doing that for ksummit?
<gcl> dsaxena: doubtful.  audio casting isn't usually done for ksummit (or lf events in general)
<gcl> I hope to introduce it at the next plumbers
<dsaxena> gcl, can we just setup a conference line? I guess that would be very expensive for afull day meeting
<dsaxena> let's offline that discussion and finish up with rest of team
<gcl> probably expensive, and it probably wouldn't work very well.
<gcl> especially when within Linaro & Canonical we already have the expertise for setting up a bridge
<dsaxena> dmart, what' s your main focus for 11.10?
<dmart> I think the main thing on the table is vexpress
<dmart> Although initial patches are now posted, I need to integrate feedback, push updates to affected drivers and rebase onto other upstream work (GIC bindings etc.)
<dmart> Later on in the cycle I think we'll want to pick up A15 again -- ideally we'd get some models running in Linaro that we can do validation/testing on
<dsaxena> dmart, do you mean qemu model or FPGA based simulator?
<dmart> Initially, we'd probably be using the ARM fast models.  These are faster and _much_ cheaper than the FPGA platforms
<dsaxena> makes sense. we probably don't want an expensive board sitting around just to do some testing in the CI loop
<dmart> As and when qemu has mature A15/LPAE support, we could start using that.  But I think it's still rather too early for that
<dsaxena> dmart,  this sounds like it should be a separate topic at linaro connect
<dsaxena> A15 support in general
<dmart> yes -- this would probably be post-11.10
<dsaxena> dmart, ok,  I will create a session BP for it
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, you're up next
<dmart> vexpress will continue to be the main focus for 11.10 in the meantime
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  so 11.10, probably focusing on the wakelock/suspend-blocker idea i'm prototyping now.
* svenkatr has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  the risk being that i pitch it  later this week and it gets hammered with issues, and there's nothing more to move on with.
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, can you write up something in the wiki that summarizes your proposal?
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, or is it to early to even do that?
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  well, working on the actual mail to lkml right now..
<mounir> jstultz_vm, this is new work for this cycle, correct? is it going to push something else till later?
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  probably not worth internal-wiki'ing it really, i think further discussions should be focused on being public on lkml.
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  yea.. it falls under the android upstreaming, but wasn't originally on the workitem list.
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, makes sense. maybe once it's a bit more fleshed out, an LWN article might be good. :)
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  so it does push out stuff iv'e otherwise back-burnered, like the lowmemorykiller work.
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  yes, if folks don't hate the idea, lwn would be a good place.
<dsaxena> i think this is definitely a hight priority than the low memory work
<dsaxena> s/hight/higher/
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  yea...  other then that, tglx is bugging me about some further cleanups in the RTC/alarmtimers code that he wants to see, so i'll probably get dragged into that (if tglx doesn't just do it before i get a chance)
<mounir> jstultz_vm, dsaxena  to be clean about it, we should create a bp fot the wakelock and move the low memory to the backlog
<dsaxena> mounir, agree
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  yea, i'm likely to postpone the lowmem work..  its already been pushed back a few times
<dsaxena> each android item should be it's own BP
<dsaxena> is that not how it is right now?
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  and i'll probably just add new work items in the android-upstream bp for now.. unless you really think it should have its own.
<jstultz_vm> ok..  each item with its own bp then..
<mounir> jstultz_vm, dsaxena, I have created a backlog milestones, we can target bp's to it if we are not working on them
<jstultz_vm> (not an issue, just different then what i've been doing)
<dsaxena> mounir, ok
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  other then that, i've also got upstreaming the config fragment work for oct.
<mounir> dsaxena, I like to take a couple of minutes to talk about monthly pb's - an action for me from last meeting
<jstultz_vm> and the normal 11.10 android+linaro kernel maintainance work.
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, ok, and i'll continue to  work on seeing if someone else can take that on long-term
<dsaxena> linusw, I think you're next/last. what's your focus for 11.10 time frame?
<linusw> dsaxena: pinctrl and pinmux
<linusw> dsaxena: I will be submitting the pinctrl core and pinmux for inclusion in linux-next soon-ish
<linusw> dsaxena: then some rinse and repeat to refine it for a merge window pull request
<linusw> dsaxena: some follow-up on gpio.h cleanup too, pxa cleanup remains to be merged to Russells branch, all others have been applied by him
<linusw> dsaxena: I don't know about bjdooks gpio.h cleanups tho
<linusw> dsaxena: then Lee from the ST-Ericsson LT wants me to do some ux500 subarch maintainance, we'll see about that, if time permits
<linusw> dsaxena: a bunch of ux500 updates are available due to ST-Ericsson migration to kernel 3.0 so we have some upstreaming opportunities
<linusw> dsaxena: that's it (and I have a fever)
<dsaxena> linusw, sounds like a lot to do! I'll work on pinmux BPs for the other SOCs so that we can have Shawn, thomas-ab, rnayak1 , and others implement needed changes for their platforms
<linusw> dsaxena: right now I'm thinking about adding some basic pin control (biasing, driving, loadcapaciting, schmitt'triggerin) to the patchset
* mansson_ (~tony@c-5eeaaa0a-74736162.cust.telenor.se) has joined #linaro-kernel
<linusw> dsaxena: it might be required for some platforms plus it can help to get that stuff out of drivers/gpio
<dsaxena> linusw, ok. i sent you an email with a high level requirements card for pinmux, let's sync up about it when you're feeling better
<linusw> dsaxena: OK
<dsaxena> ok, i think that's everyone in the team who's here (?)
* robher has quit (Ping timeout: 276 seconds)
<dsaxena> svenkat dropped off, I don't see Manjunath, Shawn, or Jason
* mounir need to talk about bp's and monthly highlits
<mounir> dsaxena, we have to proive September Highlights to release management
<mounir> s/proive/provide/
<dsaxena> mounir, i saw.....  let's go through weekly status and figure it out?
<mounir> dsaxena, ok
<dsaxena> it's a lot of questions that have nothing to do with our work :(
<linusw> mounir: I will try to hack up a quick weekly status for you
<mounir> as for the monthly bp's example, I have split the following bp: into 4 monthly bp's;
<mounir> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/linux-linaro/+spec/kernel-kexec-st-e-platforms
<mounir> look at the dependency tree
<mounir> one bp is was targeted to 11.08 and was done, look at the 11.08 milestone:
<mounir> https://launchpad.net/linux-linaro/+milestone/11.08
<mounir> the rest I have moved to the backlog milestone:
<mounir> https://launchpad.net/linux-linaro/+milestone/backlog
<mounir> at the beginning of each month, we can pik from the backlog milestone which bp's we are going to cover in the coming month
<mounir> questions?
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  so no more targetting work-items on a per-month basis?
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  or what happens to blueprints that take multiple months? do we need to track work items that are later differently then the ones from what is being done in the current month?
<jstultz_vm> (or do we split the blueprints?)
<mounir> we are in a transition now, it is better to have monthly bp's instead of the Work items blocks, it is easier to target bp's to milestones
* rnayak1 has quit (Ping timeout: 248 seconds)
<mounir> jstultz_vm, then you can go to the milestone page and see all the bp's that are targeted to that month
<jstultz_vm> mounir:  hrmm.. ok.. i suspect some of the longer running work may have trouble keeping enough blueprints around..
<jstultz_vm> but we can work to sort that out..
<mounir> jstultz_vm, ok please mail me to discuss
<mounir> dsaxena, one last item for me, please everyone send your weekly reports, not all are doing weekly reports, I use these reports to create the weekly status for the KWG
* ryanharkin (~ryanharki@188-220-45-96.zone11.bethere.co.uk) has left #linaro-kernel
<dsaxena> what would be ideal is folks to just list which WIs they completed
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  couldn't lp provide that?
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, we just don't have a way to automate it right now :(
* jstultz_vm currently has trouble both remembering to update work items status as well as do monthly reporting..
<jstultz_vm> er, weekly status reporting.
<jstultz_vm> and it seems it would be mostly redundant info.
<mounir> jstultz_vm, if you talk in term of WI in your weekly report, maybe that helps 
<jstultz_vm> anyway.. its ok, just something that i thought might help the reporting load.
<mounir> jstultz_vm, I will look into it and see if something can be done
* robher (~rob@173.226.190.126) has joined #linaro-kernel
<dsaxena> ok, we've gone over by about 20 minutes, thanks all for attending
<dsaxena> mounir, i'm mostly off today and tomorrow for my parent's visit...can we sync up on the highlights on wednesday?
<mounir> dsaxena, sure
<dsaxena> mounir, ok, sounds good

WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Meetings/2011-09-26 (last modified 2013-01-14 19:37:25)