This month's meetings

WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings
<< <  2011 / 4 >  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
        1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30  

Meeting info

  • Kernel WG meetings are conducted over IRC: #linaro-kernel on Freenode.

Attendance

  • Arnd Bergmann:x

  • Dave Martin:
  • Deepak Saxena:x

  • Grant Likely:x

  • Jason Hui:
  • John Stultz:x

  • Linus Walleij:x

  • Manjunath Kondaiah:
  • Mounir Bsaibes:x

  • Nicolas Pitre:x

  • Niklas Hernaeus:x

  • Rajendara Nayak:x

  • Thomas Abraham:
  • Shawn Guo: x
  • Venkatraman Sathiyamoorthy:

Agenda

  1. Announcement / Upcoming Release Dates
  2. CI build issues
  3. Activity Weekly reports reminder - not all engineers are providing weekly reports, the meeting minutes and the weekly reports are used to broadcast KWG weekly Status/update
  4. Pending Action items
  5. Around the table: Work Items updates, what's next
  6. BUGS review

Action Items from Previous Meeting

Minutes

  • Thursday is kernel freeze day, Deepak traveling all day Thursday to ELC, so will release it on Wednesday.
    • releasing 3.1-rc is fine, if CI had some time to test it
    • Nico has pushed some patches that he thinks will resolve the CI bugs.
  • Success stories celebration https://pastebin.linaro.org/277/

  • reminder about Connect sessions- email sent by Deepak -
  • Uli Weigand is asking about having a combined toolchain/kernel team session about improving support in gdb for debugging the kernel (jtag, qemu, kgdb, ...)
  • Kernel Development flow chart, a session will be setup at connect " kernel development process" will update the graph after the session.
  • Around the table
  • Deepak
    • focused on connect and high level roadmap work: filling in sessions blue prints,
    • working on slides for a plenary on single zImage (will ask for review soon)
    • working on fleshing out a roadmap for the kernel consolidation efforts
  • arnd
    • code review and merging patches (less than I had hoped) as well as getting yelled at for doing or not doing the first two (a little more than I would hope)
    • the intern visited, he's making good progress on the flash file system prototype and is looking forward to talking about it with people at ELC-E
  • linusw
    • maturing pinctrl, planning next iteration mainly nVidias Stephen Warren and Barry Song are contributing
    • discussing some about the IIO in staging particularly its sub-subsystem for ADC which is starting to be badly needed
    • trying to mainline some ux500 stuff as I feel a bit responsible for that stuff
    • shawnguo is also helping out in pinctrl discussions now
    • pinctrl / pinmux is in linux-next since 2 weeks.
  • nhe_
    • chewing off some DT stuff at the moment...
    • trying to keep the timeline in the bp, so to speak.
  • jstultz_vm
    • going to push an updated linaro+android kernel out shortly here.., pushing forward with 3.1
    • discussion on lkml w/ rafael and others on wakelock alternatives continues.. (almost too much discussion going on.. :)

  • shawnguo
    • push imx5-dt support to Arnd for v.3.2 merge window will send pull-req soon
    • looking into pinctrl subsystem and involving in the discussion for pin configuration support, which is critical for me to convert imx iomuxc to subsystem
    • looking into regulator DT support and trying to test it on imx/mc13892 driver
    • status of DT support on the iMX all basic drivers are ready, and I have seen people starting moving their imx5 based board support to DT. audio and usb are still big missing pieces
  • rnayak,
    • working on getting nfs working with dt on OMAP..
    • more folks @ti have started using dt for various drivers.. so putting some base support in place.
    • hsmmc is working fine with dt, saw thomas-ab posted some mmc-host bindings too..

Actions

  • Mounir - to create a git tree for volker Schneider id: vschneider at launchpad
  • dsaxena - to talk directly with uli weigand to come up with an initial wish list about toolchain/kwg session regarding improving support in gdb for debugging the kernel (jtag, qemu, kgdb, ...)

IRC Log

<dsaxena> good morning all
<arnd> hi
<linusw> hi deepak
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  hey
<robher> hi
<mounir> hi Deepak
<npitre> hello there
<shawnguo> hi all
<dsaxena> i hope everyone had a good weekend
<dsaxena> Meeting agenda @ https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/Meetings/2011-10-17
<dsaxena> Starting with announcements
<dsaxena> Thursday is kernel freeze day, but I'm traveling all day Thursday to ELC, so I'll do it on wed
<dsaxena> npitre, how do you feel about releasing on 3.1-rc?
<npitre> I think this should be fine, if CI had some time to test it
<npitre> I just pushed some patches to fix the reported SIGILLs in user space
<dsaxena> that would https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/859473
<dsaxena> have you  seen the reboot issues that Deepti reported (https://bugs.launchpad.net/linaro-ci/+bug/860556)
* rnayak (~a0131687@122.179.103.157) has joined #linaro-kernel
* rnayak has quit (Quit: Leaving.)
* rnayak (~a0131687@122.179.103.157) has joined #linaro-kernel
<npitre> dsaxena:  yes, and so far I'm suspecting they might be related
<dsaxena> npitre, ok. i'll drop a note to Deepti and Asac.
<npitre> dsaxena: I already sent them an email about it
<dsaxena> npitre, tnx :)
<dsaxena> so let's see what the CI loop does the next day or two and decide wed morning on release
<nhe_> hi
<dsaxena> hi nhe_
<dsaxena> next quick topic. for connect, we are doing a celebration/review of the year
<dsaxena> i've done a quick list of what we've delivered this year (https://pastebin.linaro.org/277/)
<dsaxena> please take a look at this after the meeting and email me with anything else you think needs to be added
<dsaxena> Also related to connect, I sent out an email with session blueprints that I created along with a list of owners
<dsaxena> please fill out the etherpads with outlines by next week so we can do a quick group review at the team meeting
<dsaxena> also, please suggest more sessions directly in Launchpad (the email included instructions on how to do so)
<arnd> dsaxena: uweigand was asking about having a combined toolchain/kernel team session about improving support in gdb for debugging the kernel (jtag, qemu, kgdb, ...)
<arnd> does anyone here have experience with using gdb for kernel debugging in one of those ways?
<dsaxena> arnd, that sounds like a god session
* dsaxena does
<dsaxena> i used gdb over jtag quite a bit for early board bring up at one point
<dsaxena> s/god/good/
<arnd> dsaxena: can you talk directly with uweigand to come up with an initial wish list?
<dsaxena> arnd, yep
<dsaxena> Also related to connect, Mounir is running a general session on mapping open source to linaro processes
<dsaxena> can everyone please review Also related to connect, Mounir is running a general session on mapping open source to linaro processes, please see https://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/document/d/1Inj3Esvk4Lbqe5PN7NHnK1WKRaM_5e9B6htKN6hDBqk/edit?hl=en_US
<linusw> arnd: does that include OpenOCD then?
<arnd> linusw: yes
<linusw> arnd: great!
<dsaxena> mounir, want to speak to the flowchart?
<dsaxena> s/to/about/
<mounir> dsaxena, yes thank you. 
<mounir> jstultz_vm, has helped to create a pictorial about kernel Flow 
<mounir> https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/GettingStarted/#Kernel_Development_Flow
<mounir> but that was before CI, Androis and Landing teams kernel were in the picture
<mounir> I have been asked multiple times to update the graph to include how the kernel development flow looks like now. 
* linusw nitpicks that the picture does not contain Gregs stable tree
<dsaxena> mounir, we have a general kernel process session scheduled at connect
* svenkatr has quit (Ping timeout: 255 seconds)
<mounir> I would appreciate any suggestions to update the graph 
<dsaxena> mounir, let's discuss it there and update afterwards?
<mounir> dsaxena, ok that'll work - I will make sure I attend that session
<dsaxena> two more items from my end for everyone
<dsaxena> Please make sure to submit your status reports. Let me know if I should setup more calendar reminders
<dsaxena> I also want to let folks know that Jason Hui and Manjunath G. have been pulled from the KWG
<mounir> linusw: will ping you after the meeting about your nitpicks - probably it is important ( not sure whether the "Linux Dev trees' box covers it or not
<linusw> mounir: sure.
<dsaxena> ok, let's do a quick set of go arounds
<dsaxena> i'm primarily focused on connect and high level roadmap work
<dsaxena> filling in sessions blue prints, working on slides for a plenary on single zImage (will ask for review soon)
<dsaxena> also working on fleshing out a roadmap for the kernel consolidation efforts
<dsaxena> i'll be travelling starting thursday for ARM Summit/ELC and then headed to connect
<dsaxena> so email connectivity will be low at that point
<dsaxena> arnd, next
<arnd> the last week had much of the usual: code review and merging patches (less than I had hoped) as well as getting yelled at for doing or not doing the first two (a little more than I would hope)
<arnd> my intern visited, he's making good progress on the flash file system prototype and is looking forward to talking about it with people at ELC-E
<arnd> I hope I find enough time to work on my presentations for ELC-E this week
<arnd> that's it for me
<dsaxena> tnx
<mounir> arnd: is the flash filesystem work covered by a blueprint/Work items or it may be fitted in one of the bluepritns
<arnd> mounir: there is a spec for it, but no blueprint. I initially planned for him to maintain a blueprint, but we never got around to having one
<arnd> the spec is at https://wiki.linaro.org/WorkingGroups/Kernel/Specs/flash-file-system-prototype
<mounir> arnd: dsaxena: should i create a blueprint?
<arnd> I think it won't help his work, especially since he's not formally part of Linaro
<mounir> arnd: ok then
<dsaxena> that was my thought too, unless we think someone from Linaro will be involved once he's done with is internship
<dsaxena> let's revisit at that point
<arnd> mounir: he would like to have a git account though, to publish the work
<mounir> arnd: I will ask for an account, can you send me his name
<arnd> dsaxena: can you organize that? his id is vschneider at launchpad
<arnd> or mounir, thanks!
<dsaxena> mounir, can you take that as an action?
<mounir> dsaxena, yes
<dsaxena> linusw, you're next :)
<linusw> OK
<linusw> so my weekly update is mostly correct
<linusw> maturing pinctrl, planning next iteration mainly nVidias Stephen Warren and Barry Song are contributing
<linusw> discussing some about the IIO in staging particularly its sub-subsystem for ADC which is starting to be badly needed
<linusw> trying to mainline some ux500 stuff as I feel a bit responsible for that stuff
<linusw> sometimes trying to deal with a few internal hurdles at ST-Ericsson as well, kernel-related we could say
<linusw> that
<linusw> that's it
<linusw> oh forgot shawnguo is also helping out in pinctrl discussions now
<linusw> which is great
<dsaxena> great! I've asked Thomas Abraham to join in too once his DT work winds down a bit
<dsaxena> nhe_, how goes DT work?
<gcl> linusw: that's getting pretty close to mergable, isn't it?
<nhe_> It is going quite well. I am chewing off some DT stuff at the moment...
<linusw> gcl: pinctrl first iteration is indeed mergeable
<gcl> linusw: I know there are still some details to work out, but I wonder if it should be queued up for v3.2 anyway
<linusw> gcl: plan is to ask Torvalds to pull it in
<gcl> linusw: okay, good.  Is it in linux-next?
<nhe_> dsaxena: I am trying to keep the timeline in the bp, so to speak.
<linusw> gcl: yes since a few weeks
<gcl> linusw: woo!
<linusw> gcl: so I think I've actually made my homework this time :-)
<dsaxena> nhe, good to hear. linusw, pinmux in linux-next is one the highlights I've listed for our connect celebration :)
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, your turn
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  nothing new from my status report..  going to push an updated linaro+android kernel out shortly here..
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, ok, on 3.1 or 3.0? Or are you waiting on decision on npitre's end?
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  and discussion on lkml w/ rafael and others on wakelock alternatives continues..  (almost too much discussion going on.. :)
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  well, i'm pushing forward with 3.1 right now.. if we need to roll back to 3.0 that's fine..
<jstultz_vm> really up to nico..
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, have you seen reboot issues?
<jstultz_vm> but i figured if we're going to get a 3.1 based kernel, the android LT's need to be already working on it..
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  not in my testing..
<dsaxena> jstultz_vm, are you using a Linaro userland (hwpack) or something else?
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  using Android image that i replace the kernel on..
<jstultz_vm> dsaxena:  can someone CC me on the rebooting issue bug?
<dsaxena> will do
<dsaxena> shawnguo, any updates from your end?
<npitre> jstultz_vm: I _think_ this is a combination of multiple factors: ARM kernel + Thumb2 user space + ARMv6 and ARMv7 config (like omap2plus) + lack of a fix in linaro-3.1
<mounir> dsaxena, npitre; Jon Medhurst has sent a note asking about which kernel version will be releasing in 11.10, can someone asnwer him please
<shawnguo> dsaxena: yes, I'm doing something :)
<jstultz_vm> npitre:  ok.. might be a config difference in my case then making me not see it.
<shawnguo> 1. push imx5-dt support to Arnd for v.3.2 merge window
<shawnguo> will send pull-req soon
<npitre> jstultz_vm: in any case, I added the missing fix to linaro-3.1, waiting for confirmation from CI
<jstultz_vm> npitre:  cool.
<shawnguo> 2. looking into pinctrl subsystem and involving in the discussion for pin configuration support, which is critical for me to convert imx iomuxc to subsystem
<dsaxena> npitre, can you reply to Tixy's post on linaro-dev
<npitre> dsaxena:  will do
<shawnguo> 3. looking into regulator DT support and trying to test it on imx/mc13892 driver
<dsaxena> shawnguo, are you coordinating with Rajendra on that?
<shawnguo> dsaxena: yes, I'm based on his work
<dsaxena> shawnguo, what's overall status of DT support on the iMX?
<shawnguo> and have given some input, and will have more in the next days
<rnayak> shawnguo:  I still need to figure out some way to pass those linux specific params in from dt for regulators
<shawnguo> dsaxena: all basic drivers are ready, and I have seen people starting moving their imx5 based board support to DT
<shawnguo> dsaxena: audio and usb are still big missing pieces
* arnd has quit (Ping timeout: 258 seconds)
<dsaxena> shawnguo, good to hear. we'll sync up at connect on missing items for everyone
<dsaxena> rnayak, i didn't see you were around. any updates from you?
<shawnguo> rnayak: yes, but there are some drivers passing linux specific params via device tree, will find you some examples
<rnayak> shawnguo:  ok, I still need to convince Mark on that..
<rnayak> dsaxena: yes, working on getting nfs working with dt on OMAP..
<shawnguo> rnayak: right, this is the hard part :)
<rnayak> more folks @ti have started using dt for various drivers.. so putting some base support in place.
<rnayak> hsmmc is working fine with dt, saw thomas-ab posted some mmc-host bindings too..
<rnayak> shawnguo: yes :)
<dsaxena> ok, did I miss anyone?
<dsaxena> ok, in that case, thanks everyone for their time and their updates. Please review the various documents I mentioned at the start of the meeting and update connect outlines

WorkingGroups/KernelArchived/Meetings/2011-10-17 (last modified 2013-01-14 19:41:49)