Monday 24th June 2013

This month's meetings

WorkingGroups/ToolChain/Meetings
<< <  2013 / 1 >  >>
Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31      

Dialling

UK 020 3481 0123 Participant 763 804 0680 Leader 407 811 6131

EtherPad

Attendees

  • Matthew Gretton-Dann y
  • James Elliott

GCC Team

  • Christophe Lyon
  • Yvan Roux
  • Venkat Kumar
  • Kugan Vivekarandarajah
  • Zhenqiang Chen

LLVM + Libs & Dev Tools + Support & Maintenance:-

  • Renato Golin
  • Will Newton
  • Mans Rullgard
  • Omair Javaid
  • Peter Maydell
  • Rob Savoye

From ARM:-

  • Richard Earnshaw (absent)
  • Ramana Radhakrishnan (absent)

From Canonical

  • Mathias y

Agenda

  • Review activity last week
  • Discuss plans for coming week
  • Raise any issues holding up progress

Action Items from this Meeting

* TBA

Action Items from Previous Meeting

Minutes

GCC Team

Christophe

Progress

  • Completed list of backports from trunk to linaro-4.8 for 2013.07 release and sent it to Rob for merges.
  • Merged backport of address sanitizer in linaro-4.8 branch (ARM not Aarch 64)
  • Aarch64 frame growing downward: checking what really needs to be changed in GCC. Documentation not very verbose :-)

  • Various attemps to resurrect my old testsuite patch to be stricter at excluding some unsupported configurations.
  • Internal support

Plan

  • Aarch64 frame growing downward.
  • Disable peeling: make the vectorizer less aggressive, investigative - current patch has regression.
  • Neon intrinsics/vuzip/veor: resume work
  • Book hotel/flight for Connect.

Issues

Q - Will Ramana or Richard be in Dublin?

Yvan

Progress

  • OE Launchpad bug #1192953
    • - 4.8 g++ failed to find c++ included headers because of the combined usage of --with-sysroot and --with-g++-include-dir

      - Investigated the issue with Andrew McDermott - found an existing OE workaround

  • LRA on ARM and AArch64:
    • - Fixed AArch64 failure - Moved to the new one, fixed, build complete
  • Cbuild Babysitting

Plan

  • Merge review
  • LRA

Issues

  • Calxeda failures - have to be repeatedly restarted.

Venkat

Progress

Progress

  • AArch64 LTO and PGO support.
    • -Tweaked make file to run coremark on V8/openembedded model -Experimenting with PGO runs for coremark.
  • AAarch64 testing
    • -Set up Cross build and test in V8 model for GCC testsuites on one of workstation in lab. -Completed g++ testsuite with V8 model for gcc trunk. Running gcc tests now.
  • Installed Ubuntu 13.04 on Chrome book.

Plan

  • Complete gcc testsuite with runs with trunk and trunk+gprof GCC patches.
  • Continue LTO and PGO runs for AArch64
  • Linaro connect preparation, check VISA status.

Issues

  • libssp support for AArch64

This work is currently in hold. Needed frame layout changes before restarting.

  • Waiting for some inputs from Rob on Bootstrap issue with GCC on V8 model
  • Visa not confirmed yet

Kugan

Progress

Progress

  • Generate single call to divmod
    • - Addressed review comments - Proposed a new patch for discussion
  • spec2k comparison between ARM and x86
    • - Obtained Profile results for both architectures - Analysing gzip and found some register allocation issues.
  • VRP based zero/sign extension
    • - Still no review for rtl changes - Pinged again

Plan

  • Continue with spec2k comparison between ARM and x86

Issues

  • lack of feedback for rtl changes

Outside Linaro

Points raised

Mathias

  • Notice linaro gcc, backports from FSF only mention revision numbers, would be nice to have complete change log entry in commit message, a few of the other workgroups are doing this -
  • Request comment on :-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/binutils-linaro/+bug/1194051

Ramana

Matthew

Progress / Announcements / Updates / Comments to team

LLVM Team

Renato

Progress

  • Release 3.3 - Finally public
  • Pandaboard - We lost two bots this week:
    • - linaro-panda-01: buildslave binary segfaults, needs fresh re-install? - linaro-panda-02: GCC installation is broken, needs fresh install!!
    - This means we need:
    • - At least two boards for each bot - At least one extra board of each type, off-line to save power/space

      - A standard Image on a gz file to flash & boot quickly, for each type

  • Chromebook LNT - Binary search on patch that broke the buildbot, found the culprit - Reduced the problem, bug posted, discussing
  • CBuild - Built Clang+LLVM in CBuild, need benchmarks, sent a patch, waiting for merge
  • Phoronix results
    • - Adding them to internal (pw protected) website to avoid public confusion - The numbers are meaningless for now and we don't want panic within the general public: - Visualization still broken. Works well only locally on Firefox. Why not HTML? Why not PNG? Sigh...
  • Administrativia / Others
    • - Lots of patches to review - Auto-vectorizer now turned on by default on -O2 and -Os! - Meeting with LLVMLinux folks, good progress, good plans, trying to get

more traction in that direction on Connect

Plan

  • Fix LNT bug
  • Implement AEABI divmod/udivmod calls
  • Try CBuild benchmark again (when patch merged)
  • Carefully analyse what's the best configuration for the pandas and produce a pre-packed image
  • NOT put them back before they're stable
  • But put TWO pandas as self-hosting (and leave Galina's alone)
  • Check why Phoronix result pages are not working

Time allowing...

  • Have a look at PerfDB
  • Write a thing or two about the optimization levels in LLVM for the official docs

Issues

LIBS & DEV TOOLS:-

Will Newton

Progress

  • Reverted AArch64 ifunc change while investigation continues.
  • Created TCWG-177 for gdb.thread testsuite failures.
  • Merged new strlen code into cortex-strings and newlib.
  • Applied a few more gdb patches upstream.
  • Fixed a few bugs and added a few features to cortex-strings benchmarks.
  • gerrit review of memcpy change ongoing.

Plan

  • Reproduce AArch64 ifunc issue.
  • Resolve gerrit memcpy review if possible.
  • Start work on malloc test and benchmark framework.

Issues

  • None.

Mans Rullgard

Progress

Plan

Issues

Omair Javaid

Progress

  • Started re-writing x86 assembly language gdb test cases for arm.
  • Debugging watchpoints code to investigate issues on arm.
  • Upgraded chromebook Ubuntu installation to a faster SD card.
  • Tried to resolve various travel hurdles. Gathering different kind of documents for future travel, submitted passport for extension etc.

Plan

  • Submit more gdb patches to mailing list.
  • Wind up work on translation of gdb test cases in arm assembly.
  • Further investigation about watchpoint issues on arm.
  • Work on filing US and UK visit visas.

Issues

  • None

Peter Maydell

Progress

  • virtio:
  • * have some patches that work (including modifying the device tree
    • to tell the kernel where the virtio transports are)
  • * more cleanup still required; in particular need to figure out
    • nice way of having the board model tell boot.c where the transports are and what the interrupt routing info should look like
  • * virtio spec needs clarification about what a virtio-mmio transport
    • with no backend is supposed to look like
  • misc:
  • * fixed linux-user utimensat breakage caused by a patch of mine
    • from last week
  • * helped Grant Likely with debugging problems running UEFI on QEMU
    • (and caught a QEMU bug in the process)
  • * reviewed another round of LDA/STL patches and a VSEL patch

Plan

  • continue mach-virt/virtio work

Issues

none

Rob Savoye

Progress

  • Added support to cbuildv2 to handle merges from GCC trunk.
  • Merged backports of 199694 199705 199733 199734 199739
    • 199810 199814 199533 200019 200020 200061 200062 200096 200148 200152.
  • Managed to survive making complex travel plans for the next few
    • weeks.
  • Fixed eembc and denbench benchmarks so they work again.

Plan

  • Work on benchmarking & testing database, more graphs, write up

    • presentation.
  • Fix running spec2000 benchmark, produce some results.
  • Commit backports to svn as merges approved.
  • Off on leave Wed till Connect. Will be 100% offline.

Issues

  • Backports of 199792, 199959 have major conflicts. Required patches
    • for these to be merged not in backports list.
  • Turns out benchmarks have not worked for several months,
    • particularly spec2000 still doesn't want to run.

Outside Linaro

Points raised

Mathias

Ramana

Matthew

Progress / Announcements / Updates / Comments to team

  • Connect 2 weeks, release week. Release on thursday of Connect but have tarballs week early.

Matthew will do branch merges.

WorkingGroups/ToolChain/Meetings/Archive/2013-06-24 (last modified 2013-08-30 11:50:17)